Saturday, May 03, 2008

Eerie and awful

By Libby

Holly at TMV on the dangers of mixing metaphors in horserace politics.
Not only did an inexperienced stallion named Big Brown just win the Kentucky Derby, but 2nd place went to the filly Eight Belles who collapsed immediately after the race and had to be euthanized. You may recall that Sen. Clinton supported the filly.
I didn't know that and the weird symbolism makes this tragedy even worse. I usually try to watch the Derby in honor of my dear departed friend Ron. I was feeling bad earlier when I realized I had missed it, until I heard this. Now I'm glad I did.

I like horse racing but it's horrible when they have to put down a horse. I saw it happen once. I was with Ron at a local regional race. They did it right there on the track in front of the grandstands. Just ghastly. I've never understood why they have to shoot them.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was working for a horse racing magazine here for a while and went to the track often. I love the races too but did see horses put down, right on the track, twice. It is horrible.

11:25:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

The races were so much fun otherwise. I never really understood what was going on in general, I just made my two dollar bets and cheered my horse, but Ronnie was really into it and would try to explain it to me. I'm sure he told me why they did it that way but I was struggling not to cry and it didn't register. All I remember is thinking, why the hell can't they splint its legs and let it live out its days in the pasture.

10:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home