Sunday, April 13, 2008

Media Bytes - Born under a bad sign edition

By Libby

Song in my head done by Albert King. I like this Cream cover better but the video is little strange on that one so I'm posting them both.

I have a really mixed bag 'o links today. This is the funniest parody I've read in a while. We are all Steve Benen and we can't deny it because darn it, Steve confessed.

This, and beating out some stiff competition, is hands down the funniest prohibition propaganda I've ever seen. Stoners in the Mist. Tour the whole island. It doesn't take long and I bet if you smoke a joint first, it will be even funnier.

And for some prime snark, try How will you spend your tax rebate?

This video was also amusing on one level but it's a serious message that is worth sharing with the teens in your life. Pregnancy happens.

And since we're on sex, this short made me laugh. As the person who sent it to me notes, "If this is not safe for your workplace, you must quit immediately and get another job."

I haven't watched the videos here yet, but on a quick scan it looks like hours of fun. The 50 Greatest Comedy Sketches. It may be overbilled. Scrolling through I see some glaring omissions but those were probably before the author's time.

And this Comedy Central documentary on FoxNews wasn't quite hilarious but raised a chuckle.

Moving on to some more serious items, a chart showing a 10 year comparison of employee positive drug tests from Quest Diagnostics. Unsurprisingly, it shows the change in positive tests for drug use overall was negligible, the main difference being that more tested positive for harder drugs instead of marijuana. This being because recreational users switched to harder drugs that pass through the body more quickly than pot in an effort to beat the tests. As usual, they don't even test for alcohol abuse. The prohibs call this progress. I have another word for it. Bullshit.

I don't usually include heavy reading on this list, but in case you missed Scott Horton's A Tale of Three Lawyers, you should read it, but only if you're willing to get pissed off.

And of course, I have new posts at Newshoggers that I haven't repeated here. I love this new widget that aggregates them all on one page. They're all short this week. I haven't been feeling well, but there's stuff you shouldn't miss there as well.

Moving back to lighter fare, one of the reasons I adore Brilliant Jill is her Mets geekiness. As most of you know, I've been a lifelong fan since the day they joined the league, but I can't do insider stats like she can. Guess that's why she's the one who they call brilliant.

The Freeway Blogger isn't referred to as brilliant either, but he should be. I love this guy. If I was younger and still agile, I'd be taking up his challenge in a New York minute.

And along with Thomas Jefferson, it's Mark's birthday today so click over and wish him a happy one.

Finally, I always like to end these posts with a little eye candy, so here's a great trailer for the Beebs Medieval Season.

And a long list 'o links to Science Fiction Art. I've only barely cracked the list myself, but I really liked this gallery, especially this illustration and I also loved these galleries. My tastes lean towards frothy fantasy fiction but there's plenty of hard core Sci-Fi artists on the list for those who like a darker style. Check it out.

[hat tips to Dave D, Vig, Jules, Radley, and as always Avedon.]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the link to the cream cover... I needed that. I'm just waking up... been doing the night shift crap for a while now. Helping me wake up.... that and the coffee... :-)

-Chuck Adkins
The Artist Formerly known as The Populist (blog dot com)

3:47:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Chuck. Thanks for the encouragement.

4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Hey! I didn't know there were that many of us lifelong Met fans in the poli-blogosphere. Although the last 9 months or so have been nothing short of depressing. It's a good thing my Bills have been doing great in football the last few years....err, scratch that. Well, 86 wasn't that long ago, was it?

5:15:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Mark. When I say lifetime, I mean since the day they joined the league. 86 feels like only yesterday.

5:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that Stoners vid. I can relate to trying to catch something while er, um...that way. Good stuff, Libby

5:49:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Wasn't that hilarious? I laughed even though I didn't smoke a joint to watch it.

7:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home