Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Take these medals and. . .

by Capt. Fogg

I guess he has no immediate plans to run for office and that's good for Josh Gaines, a 27 year old Iraq war veteran who announced his plans today to mail his medals to Don Rumsfeld. Since he did nothing, says Gaines, to protect our country or to further the Global War on Terrorism, he doesn't deserve them.

ā€œIā€™m going to give those back because I truly feel that I did not defend my nation and I did not help with the Global War on Terrorism. If anything, this conflict has bred more terrorism in the Middle East.ā€
Gaines, according to Army Times today spent a tour of duty in 2004 and 2005 guarding two military bases and issuing ammunition to soldiers. He never fired a weapon.

Of course one doesn't need a weapon to shoot oneself in the foot and the man has reason to resent the Army for having discharged him "less than honorably" for smoking cannabis after his return from Iraq; to help him, as he says, to sleep. It's a shame of course, since I essentially agree that demolishing Iraq and presiding over the smoking ruins isn't protecting the United States and is creating more hatred towards us than anything else, but his gesture will only provide fodder for the war lovers who would like to dismiss all dissenters as dopers, misfits and fringe elements. It would hardly take the Swift Boat Veterans a moment to sink him with their wake.

I realize that Americans need faith that we're always in the right and our wars are always part of the good fight and I know that all soldiers are heroes save those with the courage to question the ruler, but like at least one man who served with him said, I'm also proud of him and I wish there was less pride in submission and obedience in the ranks. I wish that more generals could give their real opinions and I wonder what Colin Powell has to smoke to sleep at night.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Good catch Fogg. I'm surprised they're not taking heroin to help them sleep. I'm afraid you're right about this feeding the wingers meme that dissenters are all dopers.

Meanwhile, the poor soldier gets caught between the indignities of both the senseless wars this country perpetrates.

7:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you can't stick to the real story that this war is truly unjust and a veteran of OIF and OEF had the courage to stand up for whats right. Your no different than the media to label someone who uses alt. medicine as a doper. Besides i think you would be surpirsed as to how many soldiers use marijuana on a daily basis. Get out of your box and support the real cause to End this War! JoshuA A. Gaines

12:03:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

What were you smoking when you posted that? Both of us are outspoken in favor of legalizing marijuana and I didn't label him - I said the pro-war people would label him.

Where did I say he wasn't courageous?

3:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home