Thursday, February 01, 2007

Jeff Goldstein - Edwards supporter or Stalker?

I'm working today so I just discovered that this guy Dan at Protein Wisdom is mocking my post where I briefly referenced Jeff Goldstein's strange fixation with Amanda Marcotte. I usually stay out of the blog spats that occur with some frequency in Blogtopia, especially any little imbroglio that has Jeff Goldstein at the center of it. But occassionally over the last couple of years, when one gets really heated, I'll follow a link from somewhere and read through a thread to see what they're fighting about and more often than not, it has been about Jeff taking potshots at either Amanda or one of the other high profile young bloggers that run in her crowd.

Apparently I hit a nerve with my offhand remark because Jeff is now "not" defending himself against my "silly suggestion" that he's obsessed with Ms. Marcotte.
For the time being, I’m going to leave aside the silly suggestions coming out of the “tolerant” side of the blogosphere that I am somehow obsessed with Amanda Marcotte, or that I “stalk” her; such comments are ludicrous on their face and I don’t think I need to dignify them with any kind of defense.
This from a guy who I clearly remember used up a whole lot of bandwidth speculating about what kind of laundry basket Amanda uses. So let's just review for a moment, the definition of obssession and stalking.
Obsession: n 2: an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone [syn: fixation]

stalk: v 2: recur constantly and spontaneously to [syn: haunt]
3: go through (an area) in search of prey; "stalk the woods for deer"
So if he's not obsessed with Amanda and indeed stalking her, why is he following her around Blogtopia nearly constantly and baiting her with barbed comments? What possible reason could he have to jump into the thread on Amanda's first post as Blogmaster of the John Edwards website, where she simply posted an introduction to herself and explained why she took the position and quote her at length about unrelated matters in a clear attempt to make her look bad?

Goldstein seems to think this explains it.
And whether you think me a “stalker” or a purveyor of vicious ad hominems, it remains the case that I believe that Ms Marcotte’s views on the Duke rape cass and Iran—as well as her history of vicious attacks on people of faith (for the record, I’m agnostic)—will be a hinderance to the Edwards campaign should they become widely known, and bespeak a lack of judgment on the part of the Edwards campaign.
And why does Jeff feels compelled to warn the Edwards campaign about this? Because he's so concerned about the success of Edwards candidacy? Hardly. He's a rabid Bush supporter and wouldn't vote for a Democrat if his life depended on it. And when is the last time you heard about any candidate's internet advisors influencing public opinion about the candidate? Do you find Jeff at Hillary's website, dishing out unflattering comments about Peter Daou's blogospheric musings? I would guess not. So why the sudden overweening concern over Edwards well-being?

If it was the first time I ever discovered him haunting a comment thread and making disparaging remarks about Amanda, I would have chalked it up to simple jealousy. After all, I don't notice any candidate offering him a high profile position on their team. But time and time again, wherever Amanda is, I find Goldstein ejaculating his snark in the threads.

I don't really care to waste any more time or bandwidth on this, but Goldstein's conduct certainly fits the definition of obsessive stalking, and I still think it's really creepy.
Bookmark and Share

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This from a guy who I clearly remember used up a whole lot of bandwidth speculating about what kind of laundry basket Amanda uses.

I believe you are talking about this:

http://tinyurl.com/2d74bb

Which was in response to this:

http://tinyurl.com/2ab9wg

But as long as it wasn't seared into your memory as a stalking incident, you should be fine.

B Moe

11:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now why people use 'astericks' to spell his name... it's to keep him from finding out you mentioned him so he can't add you to his growing enemies list or have a breakdown in your comments.

12:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

s/b 'Now you see why'

12:17:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm not an expert on Jeff or Amanda or any of the other long standing feuds between Jeff and Leftopia. I certainly don't have the time or the inclination to get into a spat over it myself. I made an offhand observation based on my personal experience. I would have left it at that if PW didn't diss me and I'm not inclined to pursue it any further. I still think his showing up at the Edwards thread was not only creepy but childish and rude. I mean what kind of jerk tries to screw up somebody else's job on their first day, no matter how they feel about them?

8:04:00 AM  
Blogger Dan Collins said...

Listen, Libby . . . I'm sorry to have mocked you, okay? But if you'd like to see how this flare-up began, please go check out this post and consider the characterization there:

http://proteinwisdom.com/index.php?/weblog/entry/22060/

Also, please do keep in mind that I'm not Jeff. All I can say is, that Amanda was dropping by to see what the wingnut morons were saying, and that whether or not posting on the site constitutes stalking is an issue in which I'm not much interested.

Reap. Sow (the verb).

It's pretty simple.

10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Dan Collins said...

it's entry 22060

10:52:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Dan thanks for the apology and forgive me if I don't go back and check all these links and the whole history of the feud. Frankly, I don't have the time nor do I really care who started it or the justifications for keeping it going. And in the greater scheme of life it doesn't really matter what I think about Jeff's long term conduct, does it? It's not like anybody listens to me anyway.

2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Dan Collins said...

You're forgiven. It's not as though the evidence is germane, is it Mr. Nifong?

8:32:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm not asking for absolution Dan. I think this whole unseemly incident is juvenile, petty and ill-mannered.

As I watch the latest developments, I find it absurd that your little cabal is making a federal case out of her off the cuff post. So she wrong about the rape victim. So fucking what.

Like any of you give a flying leap about Edwards' candidacy or are potential voters for him? Why should he care what you think? The whole lot of you are behaving like schoolyard bullies. There's no point to this huge outrage except to harass Amanda.

I think it's incredibly tacky and downright unAmerican to try to get someone fired because you disagree with their politics.

9:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home