Thursday, November 01, 2012

Why the race is so close

[photo via OKnox on twitter]

On its face, it doesn't make sense. Certainly not to any one who's been paying attention right along. There's this overwhelming incredulity among the well informed that this could not possibly be real. No thinking person should be fooled by the blatant lies that have become Romney's stock in trade. But those who harbor the strongest disbelief don't live in Republican strongholds.

This was brought home to me when I voted last week. I was as thrilled as a freshman going to the senior prom as the football hero's date to see a long line on just the third day of early voting. I love seeing people participate in the process, even when I know they're not voting for my guy. I said as much to a woman outside the polls as I was leaving. She was clearly a Republican.

She looked at me and pointedly said, "As long as they're informed votes."

It was clear by her tone she knew I had voted Democratic and thought me to be not informed enough to be worthy of having cast my ballot. That stopped me in my tracks.

I very sweetly replied, "Yes, being informed is important. And everyone should exercise their right to participate."

I smiled brightly at her. She looked away and slammed her car door shut.

She could have been any one of the women in this video. Well except for the really crazy one. Didn't think I'd watch the whole thing, but was transfixed. I've seen this kid do interviews before. He's great. I don't know how he keeps his composure for so long.

This was taken at the Romney rally in Defiance where Meat Loaf endorsed Romney. (Added bonus if you make it to end, is the most embarrassing moment of Mr. Loaf's solo). These people could be my neighbors.



They believe they're the informed ones and we're the ones who are deluded.

Addendeum: And why do they think that, you ask? Here's a clue.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger merlallen said...

Lucky you, they're my family.

5:27:00 PM  
Blogger merlallen said...

When they say anything to me I start laughing like a lunatic and tell them that that was the funniest joke I've heard in a long time and tell them my friends would love one. Then they get kind of embarrassed and decide not to discuss politics.
Before I was removed from the wingnut email chain, I would reply with contempt and filthy language and name calling then hit reply all.
Those fine 'christians' really loved that!

5:33:00 PM  
Blogger merlallen said...

that one.

5:33:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have a few in my family too Merl. And in my wide circle of friends. Avoiding politics is the only way to keep the peace. Of course, that doesn't help change anything, but some people just can't be reached with facts or logic.

8:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home