Friday, July 06, 2012

Romney man assaults protester



Not difficult to imagine what the headlines would say if an Obama supporter had done this to a Romney protester. Media is reporting this as a clash or a confrontation, but it's clearly an instance of a Romney man assaulting a dissenter who disagrees with his personal views.
At one point, Romney supporter Richard Brysac of Parma confronted protester Al Neal of Canton, who attended with members of a group called Fight for Fair Economy Ohio.

Brysac, 77, attempted to hush Neal by emptying a bottle of water into the 25-year-old union worker's mouth.

"He seemed thirsty, so I tried to shove the bottle in his mouth," Brysac said. "I thought it was wrong to interfere with [Pawlenty's] freedom of speech.

"I acted out of character and I apologize if I offended anyone."

When the bottle didn't work, Brysac pulled out his handkerchief and gagged Neal
. Difficult not to notice the classic GOP dodge. "I apologize if I offended anyone."

In a way, you can't blame the old guy. He comes from a different era when young folk respected the elders and newsmen didn't lie to you on the teevee box. He probably believes they're not allowed to lie on the teevee box. He's heard a thousand conservative Republicans say those exact words on his teevee box, to justify a thousand different afffronts to civil society. And he's been told a thousand times that freedom of speech only applies to his side, because they're the oppressed ones.

Nonetheless, this wasn't a mere confrontation. It was by definition a criminal assault. The kid he assaulted didn't even react to him. Not so much as a angry glance. See the video of the geezer stuffing the handkerchief in his mouth.

I don't think I would have had the same restraint in this situation. It's unlikely I would have decked the old coot, but I surely would have hollered at him for manhandling me.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home