Thursday, June 28, 2012

Obamacare upheld by a thread

I'm not going to say much about the SCOTUS decision on Obamacare. There are lots of people smarter than me doing analysis. I'm sure you can find it on your own. All I'll say is I am surprised it was Roberts who joined the liberals to uphold. Thought if it was going to survive it would have been Kennedy who tipped the balance. However judging from what I've heard about the insane dissents, Roberts had no choice and he showed some high test political savvy in his decision.

In any event I'm sure we're in for a few more days of hearing about "what it all means" so for now I'm just going to post the ultimate photos of the reaction. In the rush to be first to break the news, which means exactly nothing in the age of twitter, several news orgs got it exactly wrong which made possible a "Dewey defeats Truman" photo op for President Obama.

[original photo]

And I'm told the photo that went with this story was actually taken yesterday but it pretty perfectly captured the moment for Pelosi and Boehner.



Meanwhile, Obama's statement was gracious and well focused on what is really important about this decision.

Frankly I never loved the ACA. It's far from a perfect solution to what ails our health care system. But it's an important step in the right direction. As Charlie said, the way forward is to maintain-and-improve what we have so far. Pretty sure the millions of uninsured who will get the opportunity for affordable health insurance and the many millions more who won't have to worry about losing theirs because of pre-existing conditions will agree.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home