Sunday, November 06, 2011

CainGrich 2012

Maybe it's just me but I've been detecting this odd dynamic between Herman and Newt in the last couple of weeks. The tone of their remarks about each other strike me as more friendly than adversarial. And while I didn't watch the Cain Gingrich debate last night, judging from my twitter stream, it wasn't much of a debate. More like a showcase to introduce the new GOP ticket for 2012.

Of course, that presumes Cain might actually win the nomination. A notion that seems more plausible to me lately. With due respect to Rachel Maddow, who posited to wide acclaim the theory the Cain campaign is merely performance art, I agree it started out that way. But something weird happened. Suddenly, no matter what he does, he's winning.

I had my own epiphany about that in the last few days. Cain is winning is because he's the candidate Fred Thompson was supposed to be in 2008. I mean, am I the only who thought of Fred's cigar video when Block blew that smoke for Cain in that widely mocked ad? As I recall, the cons loved Fred's smoke spewing throw down.

Fred crashed because that was pretty much the pinnacle of his bombast. He backed off and went all respectable candidate. In other words, he bored the base. Not so with Herman.

Cain may have started out thinking this campaign was a convenient way to feed his vanity and build his brand, but damn if it didn't start working for him. The base loves bombast and he delivers it in bulk. And the more he's mocked for it, the more they love him. He now believes he can win this thing, and suddenly, so do I.

[Thanks to The Week magazine for the name check.]

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger merlallen said...

Gingrich and Cain have been friends for 15 years. And Fred said himself that he was just too lazy to campaign. I like the guy but wouldn't vote for him for any office.

5:53:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's the big difference between Fred and Cain. Cain likes to be in the spotlight. He's not lazy like Fred.

8:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home