Monday, October 31, 2011

Blessed Samhain

Not really doing much for Halloween myself this year. Have an early dinner date and then plan on having a quiet mediation in the spirit of All Soul's to see if I can peer through the veils and reach my Dad.

Haven't carved a pumpkin in years but I love the way carving has evolved into an amazing art form. Love these Space-o-Lanterns:


More at the link. And my friends Rich and Flo are master carvers, who turn out incredibly artful pumpkins every year. Scroll down at that link to see their archives. But my favorite pumpkin may be the annual Knoller-o-lantern, apparently carved by a co-worker at CBS. Perfect likeness.

I also have a great fondness for vintage cards. My pal, Erin O'Brien found the best Flickr gallery of old Halloween cards ever. There's pages and pages but this one was my favorite.


And if you need help getting in the spirit before your party, here's an old Disney cartoon from 1929, The Skeleton Dance. Disney was really edgy in those days. No one will ever convince me those cartoonists weren't hanging around the studio doing drugs.

And of course no Samhain is complete without witches, so check out my two favorite witches in this world, Maeve and Hecate.

If you're going out to celebrate tonight, be careful out there. I'm told the Zombies are really bad drivers.


Addendum: Almost, check out my friend Marcellina's soul cakes.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home