Sunday, March 13, 2011

Atlantis Found

Having a great affection for fairy tales and fantasy fiction generally, the lost city of Atlantis has always fascinated me. I would love to see them find it in my lifetime. This is the most credible possibility I've seen so far:
"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.
The thinking is it was wiped out by a huge tsunami and the remaining survivors fled inland to build mirror cities in its image. Wish I had toured those when I was in Spain back in the 90s.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Thanks, interesting info. Next time I get the chance, I'm going to see if it's possible to visit and see what they're working on there.

1:35:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I adore Atlantis sightings. This one seems very promising to me. This is the good that advanced technology can do...

2:00:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Atlantis - I guess we've given up on Eden and the Kingdom of Prester John and the lost city of Z? What about Walter Raleigh's headless cannibals or the land of Gog and Magog and all those monsters on old maps?

Plato said Solon heard it from Egyptian priests, who probably heard it from a guy whose brother in law heard it from a guy in a bar, but anyway, it's supposed to be a continent and there are so many submerged coastal cities around the world we could just call them all Atlantis and have done with it. Even so, it was supposed to have taken a day and a night to sink beneath the sea and that hardly describes a tidal wave. I am sure there have been such in the Med - Santorini would have made some big waves, but why would this myth not have persisted somewhere else - anywhere else than an anonymous Egyptian who never told anyone else of it except maybe his space alien friends who built the pyramids? I just think we have such a thirst for ancient legends we're willing to call anything Atlantis. Hey there's a circular thing at the bottom of my pool -- could be Atlantis or a drain. I prefer Atlantis and I'm going to charge admission.

Funny too that the only ringed city I've ever heard of was Tenochtitlan now buried under Mexico city and certainly not a candidate.

I'm much more interested in finding the Higgs boson, if there is one.

11:25:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Fogg, you cynic, that's the Virgin Mary in your pool. And if you're really nice, I'll let you see the heiroglyphics in my bowl of oatmeal....

6:36:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Ruth. And I'll share the Virgin Mary in my scrambled eggs...

Fogg, I'm also a fan of fantasy fiction. I want the island of the Elves from Tolkien's book to be real too, so I can retire there... ;~)

8:02:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

She looks good in a bikini, no? But about that virgin thing -- ah, you know, I wouldn't be too sure of that.

10:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home