Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Wherein Obama loses me

Okay. I've been cutting this White House a lot of slack out of empathy for Obama's burden and poltical pragmatism, but this is too much. The OFA wants me to write letters in support of the stupidest cave-in to GOP bullying in the last two plus years?

That’s right, the organizing project of the Democratic National Committee wants you to organize in support of freezing public worker salaries.

And don’t worry, later in the email, OFA tells you how the Administration has really been responsible on this issue – they’ve frozen salaries of White House officials and political appointees, froze non-defense discretionary spending, and more.

To quote my second favorite pundit in the universe, Harry H McColgan: "Are you shittin' me?"

If I had wanted to deal with this Burkean bullshit I would have voted for McCain. I'm beginning to think Obama is sick of the gig and is deliberately trying to lose his base. [via Atrios]

And as Ezra notes, this is not a pragmatic choice, it's about the optics.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger J.W. Williamson said...

Libby,
After the Nov. election, I wrote my "buh-bye to Obama" but didn't publish it. This administration is going from mere PR disaster to full-out catastrophe. In other words, I share your dismay.

2:06:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It seems to just be getting worse. The more Obama caves to the GOP, the more they demand and WE all know they'll never give an inch on anything that could be construed as a success for the Dems, no matter who it hurts.

I'm speaking today of the GOP's ransom demand for their tax cuts for the rich or else nothing is going to get voted on. And the block on extending UI benefits at all.

2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Reminds me a bit of Preston Tucker trying to build a better car and being eaten up alive by "the big three." I don't blame Obama all that much. He's just a guy, not Hercules.

Trying to change Washington ain't easy when all the money is on their side and public opinion can be bought more cheaply that a 7th avenue whore. It's progress itself that's failing, not the President alone.

9:32:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Well true Fogg, but Obama's latest round of capitulation has been incomprehensible to me. I suspect he's getting bad advice but it doesn't make it any less troubling. Hoping it's one those famed eleventy chess move things.

3:58:00 PM  
Blogger Phil Perspective said...

Capt. Fogg:
Trying to change DC has nothing to do with what the author is talking about here. This one is totally on Obama. Who was giving him advice that this was a good idea?

3:40:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I don't think you got my drift. Washington is the voice of powerful money and sending Mr. Smith or Mr. Obama there in the hope of changing things was probably as hopeless as the "both parties are the same" people told me. I think that morass could have made Jesus cave too.

Both parties aren't the same, but none the less Washington has changed Obama more than Obama changed Washington.

I still think we should keep in mind the likely disaster we averted by not electing the old man and the witch instead. I'm quite sure we'd have a third or fourth front in our 'warntare' and a full fledged depression.

9:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home