Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My reaction to the reaction to Obama's speech

I had to go out so I missed the speech. After reading the reactions on twitter, I wished I had skipped those too. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky, but I'm getting impatient with demands for a quick fix where none exists. I'm sick and tired of insta-reactions where people engage their mouths before their brains. I've had it with claims that it's one's duty to criticize when it's done purely for sake of criticism, without offering a realistic alternative. And I really hate when the left starts adopting right wing blathering about failure of leadership and demanding better optics. How is that going to solve anything?

John Cole pretty much summed up my reaction and since he's better at swearing, I'll just quote him.
Of course, if anything positive was going to happen, Obama would have to stand up there and say “Those penguins pelicans coated with oil and shrimp that taste like wd-40? You stupid motherfuckers can expect more of that until you stop voting for assholes who oppose alternative energy sources and any move away from fossil fuels. Until then, I hear dental floss works ok removing tarballs from your teeth, you dumbasses. Also, this response IS big government, you teabagging shitheels.”

That would probably be deemed partisan, though. Just shoot me.
Read the rest at the link. A prettier, or angrier, or more inspiring speech that makes the left or the apolitical feel better, or vindicates ignored warnings, isn't going to plug the gusher. It just won't. And isn't that what's really important?

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Anonymous Healthy Girl said...

I used to like Obama. Now I don't know what to think anymore. I liked he was an active person, going to the gym, playing basketball, and other fitness routines I read he had. Men's Fitness Magazine named him one of the "25 Fittest Guys in America".

11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

This a joke, right?

Why are people concerned that someone be fit to be a paleolithic hunter gatherer or even a pack mule or the alpha male of a baboon troop, but don't worry about intelligence and education? What about being one of the 25 smartest men? What about being mentally fit for the job?

Thanks, but although I don't begrudge him his exercise, I'm not paying him to be a gym teacher, I'm paying him to start to build a rational, law abiding, sane democracy out of the ruins the last physically fit president created.

Of course if you are joking - and I hope you are - never mind.

12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg, I think she's probably promoting her own fitness blog or something, hoping to get people to click on her profile. Just another spammer, but I guess I won't delete it because it's better done than usual.

2:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home