Tuesday, April 20, 2010

FDA salt assault

Much as I hate nanny government, I'm not that upset about the FDA's planned war on salt in processed foods. Even though ironically I've been to the hospital twice because my sodium was so low that I had to be pumped full of saline, most people in this country eat way too much salt, most of it hidden in convenience foods.

While it's true people shouldn't eat so much processed food, it's often the only alternative for those on strict budgets or tight schedules. Besides, salt is cheap. You can always add salt but you can't remove it. Over the long run it will make for a healthier population and that will benefit everyone in many ways.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

The idea that we all eat too much salt smells to me like the same kind of "science" that once proved coffee was bad for you that was traced eventually to soda manufacturers.

I can't believe that someone doesn't stand to make money from replacing salt with something else they have for sale - but of course I'm a confessed cynic.

Living in a very hot climate, it's easy to run out of electrolytes, particularly if you follow the advise of the people who sell water at champagne prices and drink gallons of it. One tends to get painful cramps and arythmia unless you take salt pills - especially if you work outdoors.

I'm still trying to figure out what processed foods are, since everything from picking an apple to chewing it is "processing."

There's a guy called Dr Ben Goldacre, a British Scientist who writes a "bad Science" column in the Guardian and often comments on the anti-processed food crusade and it's spurious and baseless claims. Seems the Brits are even more naive and gullible than we are.

3:54:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Processed food is convenience food. Canned stuff, frozen dinners, they all really do have a lot of salt and while I also need more salt than most cause I drink so much water, I really think this isn't so bad. I wouldn't like it though if they developed some salt substitute instead. Didn't think of that.

9:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home