Monday, September 14, 2009

The Mad Minority March

I'll admit it annoys me that the media ignored war protesters for all the dark years of the Bush era while they give the Tea Party protesters days on end of coverage. I'm pissed off that they treated us like "kooks", the fringe of society, while they treat people who really do believe in insane conspiracy theories like "normal" Americans. I mean there were a lot of late middle-aged peace marchers who hadn't protested either for decades, or never had before, only they weren't talking about death camps, guns and commie fascism. But that's just an irritation that can't be changed. The important point is a lot of these tea party people revel in violent ideation. There's a strong faction within this "movement" who truly are on the fringe of civil society. I'll give CNN some credit here for exposing this element.



Exposing this is good to a degree, but it's a double-edged sword. In watching the coverage and the YouTubes, it seems clear to me that the most radical are there to play to the cameras. They want to see themselves on the news and when they get home, their friends will treat them like heros for standing up to "The Man." The problem is, the more attention they get, the more they're going to escalate their schtick to get that attention again. As long as the cameras roll, I'm thinking it won't end until blood is spilled. When that happens the blood will be on the media's hands -- starting with Glenn Beck -- but all are complicit who encourage the freak show while they ignore the POTUS.

I don't think I'm overstating the danger, when I look at the links I assembled in 24 hours but judge for yourselves and forgive me, there is some repetition.

One of the best, Max Blumenthal's unauthorized tour of the event.

Alan Colmes Pictures from a tea party.

March on Washington.

Here Is Your Conservative Movement, America.

More DC 9/12.

Armed and dangerous.

The last photo in and my personal favorite, says it all about Fox. We should all be so well infromed.

And Matt wins the snark competition with a different view of the "dark fringe."

Yes, they're a mad minority but they have been stockpiling guns and ammo since before Obama was duly elected and more than just a few are just itching for an excuse to use them. The media gives them credibility at all our risk.


[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

My favorite demo;
http://seminal.firedoglake.com/diary/8146

When the lunatic fringe is all that's left of the right wing, it makes them mad.

6:40:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Ruth. I love those Billionaires for Health Care. I would love to join them but don't have the right wardrobe.

1:26:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Sure you do. Real billionaires I know don't dress like it - that's for the nuveau riche and wannabees.

9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg, don't know any billionaires but I'm sure you're right. However, for that street theater, you need the right costume and even when I dress up, I don't have that rich refined look.

12:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home