Sunday, April 06, 2008

Media Bytes - Helplessly hoping edition

By Libby

Song in my head. I always loved this group. Meanwhile, I'm helplessly hoping my internet connection comes back sometime today so I can post this at some point.

Another thing I love is that I won't have to do Excess Hoggage posts anymore because you can now get all my posts with one click at the all new and improved Newshoggers. Now all I have to do is write my bio page. Oddly, I find it difficult to write glowing reviews about myself.

It's easy to write one for these folks though. This is a brilliant idea.
Looking to honor the forty-third President of the United States of America, George W. Bush, the recently formed Presidential Memorial Commission of San Francisco is looking to change the name of the Oceanside Wastewater Treatment Facility. It seems the group would like to rename the SF Zoo adjacent facility to the "George W Bush Sewage Plant."
I can't think of a better tribute to the Bush legacy.

And this for real newspaper layout was just brilliant as well.

Not so brilliant are the latest rounds of political ads. Ask Hillary was actually pretty good and certainly a vast improvement over the 3:00am theme, but the point of John McCain's Proud to be a Snitch was rather hard to fathom and Mike Gravel's tribute to Charles Manson, Helter Skelter, was as delightfully incomprehensible as always. There must be something wrong with me that I find his ads so tasteless, yet so amusing.

Speaking of amusing, this booze quiz was entertaining. As a former bartender, I of course did quite well on it.

And assuming this ever gets posted, the AARP of all places, has a feature section where a bunch of old hippies muse about 1968. Some interesting reading for a Sunday evening.

But if that's too much reading, then try this interactive Mad Magazine fold-ins tribute. I remember this feature in the magazine well and loved it greatly in my youth. It's still just as entertaining now and even better, it's a lot less work to get to the punchline when you do it on the computer.

And finally, since we're getting lost in the old days, this is perhaps one of the best anti-war arguments I've ever seen from the 1964 film, The Americanization of Emily.

[hat tips to Avedon, Elisson and John Wilmerding]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read through all of then entries from AARP. Wonderful stuff and lots of memories.

I too love CSNY and Buffalo Springfield before them. I got to see a lot of concerts while living in the Bay Area during the 60's but never got to see them. On my birthday, 8 or 9 years ago, my daughter took me to see them play at the San Jose Arena. They were as good as ever and when Neil Young played a solo song on the organ, even the other band members were in awe. Good stuff Libby

9:36:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Glad you enjoyed it Brian. I thought you might like the AARP piece and yeah, CSNY are one of those groups that have lasting appeal. They still sound good, even as old guys.

I last saw them live in the early 90s at an outdoor concert in MA.

10:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home