Monday, January 28, 2008

Smells like smoke

By Capt. Fogg

I used to read The Gun Toting Liberal although other than for the title that describes me fairly well, it's slant is hardly liberal or even "slightly left of center" lately, and I haven't read much 2nd amendment debate there. I used to read them, but it's all over now and I'm through wishing I could quit them; I'm finished.

I'm aware that the title of "liberal" has become meaningless through decades of tendentious definition, but what kind of Liberal claims that Barak Obama is a Muslim, Caroline Kennedy is his daughter and the New York Times commits treason? Actually, the antic internet smear campaign against Obama is more comical than the usual swashbuckling swift boat stuff I've seen used against John Kerry, his wife, Max Cleland and even against John McCain in previous elections. It ranks with the little remembered and less effective campaign to insinuate that Dwight Eisenhower was Jewish.

Leonard Pitts comments in today's Miami Herald about the strangeness of a country that accepts Shaquille O'Neal and Mohammed Ali and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who are Muslims and worries about whether Obama, who is not a follower of the Prophet, is secretly the Baghdad Candidate. I would actually dismiss the effort as being so puerile as to be ineffective but for the e-mails that pour into my mailbox with indignant comments about Barak Osama refusing to salute the flag or say the pledge of allegiance and taking his oath of office on the Koran. Apparently there are people looking for some reason to tear him down that distract from their real reason and then there are always those who will fall for the "where there's smoke, there's fire" fallacy. Of course, where there's smoke there's often a smokescreen and what smells like smoke to some, smells like bullshit to others.

Cross posted from Human Voices

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Capt, I couldn't agree more. I believe what we are seeing here is a campaign to discredit Obama simply because he is black. These people don't want to be seen as racist, which they are, so they are trying to create this ridiculous smokescreen to hide behind. Senator Obama is a serious, viable candidate and deserves the same amount of scrutiny of his political record and his stands on issues as any other candidate.

4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg, although I've also noticed that GTL has been posting some stuff I don't agree with lately, I think you misread this post. I think he was snarking on Teddy, not bashing Obama.

5:40:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

It could be that it was meant to be facetious and the writer wasn't good enough at it to make it clear - or that I'm just touchy, but there's no doubt that a nasty little rumor campaign is going on.

8:17:00 PM  
Blogger The GTL™ said...

Libby and Captain Fogg are BOTH correct -- I was snarking at Teddy in a facetious manner and I'm not the world's greatest writer either. In fact, I'll probably be voting for Barack on Wednesday ;-)

Even though it's not the most positive link, I'd like to thank you kindly for it anyway, Sir. Blog ON and thanks again :-)

12:50:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

GTL:

Perhaps I'm not the world's greatest reader either. Thanks for the clarification and I withdraw my withdrawal.

I shall return.

9:22:00 AM  
Blogger The GTL™ said...

No harm, no foul, brother. Sometimes I think I bury my TRUE point way too deeply for the majority of folks to "get". I've had family members who've known me all my life ask me to explain what I was really trying to say... LOL.

As for the 2-A stuff, it's hard to focus on right now with the vast majority of the candidates being either closet or blatant gun-grabbers :-/ Just watch me when the D.C. gun ban case is finally underway at the SCOTUS though... ;-)

Thanks again, my friends. I absolutely, positively, adore this blog and have for many moons, so PLEASE keep up the great work and BLOG ON!

12:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home