Monday, November 12, 2007

Golden parachute

By Libby

I was a huge critic of Poppy Bush when he was president but time has a way of mellowing old angers and lately I've found myself sympathethic to an old man who lived to see his son become the laughingstock of the universe. It can't be easy to see your offspring so utterly fail. And I have to admit that I actually admire the old coot for continuing to pursue his love of skydiving.

Having made a few jumps myself, I can appreciate the bravery it takes to dare gravity at an age when the slightest misstep could leave you dead or at least crippled for life. I only wish he could have performed his public service with such courage.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

But his type of skydiving reflects on the way the Bush family does things. He's not competent to do it himself, so someone else controls the fall, pulls the ripcord and steers the chute and he struts away with that "mission accomplished" smile.

I've also seen him run his boat halfway up a Kennebunkport pier and it's a miracle he didn't kill anyone.

12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Normally I would agree Fogg, but even on tandem, skydiving is still scary and I noticed he was working the canopy handles himself.

I'm willing to give the old man some credit for guts in this case.

1:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell the old man its a good thing his boy, Dubya, didn't make the parachute. Then ("I'm willing to give the old man some credit for guts in this case") swap "credit" for "guts" and "guts" for "credit."

Having children like Jeb and Dubya presents a strong case favoring abstinence.

2:31:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Too bad they didn't practice it at the time.

3:16:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I think, considering the fate of so many of the octogenarians I know, that I'd rather take the risk of a parachute malfunction than suffer the pain and indignity of what would otherwise be my sure fate. I've told my wife that on my 80th birthday, I'm buying that ultralight she doesn't want me to have.

As for Bush; if I had done to the world what he did, I'd be jumping without the chute.

8:22:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL. Good point Fogg. And if you do get that ultralight, I will stand in awe forever. THAT's the scariest flying machine I've even seen. I wouldn't get on one of those flying lawnmowers for a million bucks and I LOVE small aircraft.

11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home