Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Libby should be pardoned

I've been working 12 hour days this week so I haven't had time to fully absorb the impact of the Libby verdict but I have become embroiled in a little blog spat with one of the editorial writers at the Detroit News.

Jeffrey opened it up with this post and I countered with my own.
That one clearly got to him. He's not usually reduced to language like this.
You can believe Boies' analysis, or you can listen to the wing-flapping and cackling on this blog that cites "Media Matters," a left-wing outfit founded by former right-wing journalistic hit-man turned left-wing journalistic hit-man David Brock.
That wing-flapping cackler would be me. I followed up with this post. That should drop a few jaws but I actually do want Bush to pardon Libby right away. My first reaction was of course Bush will pardon him and nobody will pay for this but after I read Ezra Klein's take at The Carbetbagger Report, I see the sense in calling for an immediate pardon.

Besides, I have to admit that not unlike the jury, I also feel kind of sorry for the hapless, little sad sack myself.
Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Libby Spencer said...

You think Libby wants to bargain at this point whig? I don't see why he wouldn't have done it sooner. Is he even in a position to bargain now that the verdict has been rendered? I would think the appeal will rest on technical aspects and not the evidence at this point. But I have to admit I didn't really follow the trial that well and I've had no time to read the press yet. I haven't seen the grounds for the appeal

10:24:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I think perhaps Hadden just learned the word iatrogenic and wanted to use it.

I think that argument is no more valid than defending a guy who shoots a cop during a routine traffic stop. You can't blame the cop and the citizen has a legal obligation to comply. Is one allowed to lie in his defense if the charges are not proved? Tell it to the judge.

I would be amused to see the illogic applied to the Clinton case, wherein he would not have been asked whether he had sex if his real estate dealings of 20 years before were not under investigation. I wonder what Hadden thinks?

10:51:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just because there was no PROOF of an underlying crime doesn't mean there wasn't one. there was! how do we know this womans name and what she did? answer: the cheney team. they are guilty to me. he should be sentenced like anyone else

1:21:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Fogg - Hadden rarely gets into the fray. I think my post really pissed him off. But in any event, I think he's more of a Bush team player than an orginal thinker and he's certainly more than a little pompous with his vocabulary flaunting. One wonders how he got into journalism when he's so far removed from the readership stylistically.

In any event I have to suppose their big boss makes them defend the White House. I can't think of any other reason obviously otherwise intelligent people like these ed writers, and they all do White House steno posts, would espouse such complete nonsense.

3:24:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Lester - it's not that I don't think Libby is guilty or that he doesn't deserve to do time but I don't really care about seeing him punished. I wanted the real perps to go down and I think Ezra is right. An early pardon would put the focus back on the White House where the real culpability lies.

3:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're underestimating libby's role. He was not a blank slate. he was an active office of special plans neo con ideologue. richard clarke was on Frontline talking about libby approaching him complaining about how clark "didn't believe" the ridiculous mohammed atta in prague story, as if it was a simple chioce.

he and cheney rode a limo to work together every morning. he could have stopped the whole thing.

he's an evil mastermind just like cheney

6:08:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm not saying he's not evil Lester. I'm just saying he's a wannabe mastermind. He was still just Cheney's lackey.

He's taking the fall for following orders. It would have been nice to see the real masterminds have to account for this.

8:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home