Saturday, December 16, 2006

When losing is still winning

The Weblog awards are over. The polls are closed, the ballots counted and although it's not official until Monday, it's clear that The Impolitic came in a distant but very respectable third. It was a good finish considering we turned it around from dead last and came in with double the votes of the rest of the field.

It was more fun than I expected it to be and I'm happy to have gained a couple of more conservative friends out of the deal. Second place winner Bubblehead brought the fun to the table and inspired me to actively compete and Jack's Shack, who I still don't think is as progressive as he claims, nonetheless offered up thoughtful points that challenged my thinking in the comment section here. I hope he sticks around now that it's over.

Never having actually tried to win a contest before, I learned a lot from this one. I understand a little better what it feels like to be professional politician. The temptation to say yes, when your technogenius friend offers to stuff the ballot box for you. How righteous you feel when you say no. The surprisingly amount of time and energy it takes to campaign. But mostly I learned that Leftopia is pretty great place and I'm really proud to be a small part of it.

I want to offer a special thanks to those who endorsed me in the 11th hour push. My friend David at In Search of Utopia, the inimitable skippy the bush kangaroo, the irresistable Shakespeare's Sister and a new friend Grift Drift who came through like knight in shining armor with an unexpected plug.

Most of all, thanks to all of you for voting and more importantly for visting my little space here. Your support, your company and comments make me feel a winner every day.
Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

Blogger Bubblehead said...

You're too kind. "Second place winner" sounds so much better than "first loser".

1:29:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Bubblehead. You should have won. Hope you'll still come by and say hey once in a while now that it's all over. It was a pleasure to meet you.

1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey, at least you did better in your category than skippy! we came in third...from last!!

3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Your category was the tough one skippy. Stiff competition and you're all so good. I thought for sure you had a lock on fourth from last though. Sorry I couldn't be more help to you. You were invaluable to my run. Thanks again.

3:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd say between your not knowing who lindsey lohan is and your interest in a blog-off, you are one strike away from permanant geekdom. I 'd recomend a subscription to US Weekly and a personal assistant

4:11:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Lester. I'm an aspiring geek but I just don't have the chops. And I have no interest in gizmos. I don't want to spend my time poking a little device with a stick or reading my email on a screen the size of postage stamp. I'm just too low tech. I still haven't figured out how to use my cell phone.

5:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'hangs head in shame


word verification: diwba

6:19:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Oh anon. I'm sure you have nothing to be ashamed of.

And that verification word is just the eye test for BWI.

6:37:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Congrats on the third place finish, Libby. Just being nominated is a huge honor. You deserve it.

12:45:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Thanks Kathy.

12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home