Thursday, March 02, 2006

Think it's time for a change

I'm serious about starting my own party. I've had the name for a long time, the LibbytarianTM Party and tonight I discovered the perfect mission statement for it, The Lone Ranger Creed.
The Lone Ranger Creed!
By: Fran Striker

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one.

That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world.

That God put the firewood there but that every man must gather and light it himself.

In being prepared physically, mentally, and morally to fight when necessary for that which is right.

That a man should make the most of what equipment he has.

That 'This government, of the people, by the people and for the people' shall live always.

That men should live by the rule of what is best for the greatest number.

That sooner or later... somewhere...somehow... we must settle with the world and make payment for what we have taken.

That all things change but truth, and that truth alone, lives on forever. In my Creator, my country, my fellow man."
Maybe it's just my mood tonight, and the language is very 50s, but it sounds like a nine step program for political change. What do you think?

Update: Think I'll ask Don Surber for his thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I love the creed and the nine step program idea. However, just like an alcoholic, the program only works if people can admit there is a problem. A large majority of our country is in denial (or corrupted by the lure of money).

11:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd vote for you - Libby in '08!

To follow on Kathy's comments, the addition problem is an inherent belief amongst most people that no 3rd party will ever amount to anything. To these people any vote for a 3rd party is a wasted vote.

Just think of Perot - he made huge waves and only won how much, 10-20% of the vote (can't remember to be honest)?

So long as this belief remains intact it will become a self-fufilling prophecy.

So the issue seems to become: How to open people's minds up to the possibility of a 3rd party.

Both the Republican and Democratic parties have become so bloated and intrenched in their own traditions - as well as the traditional feud between them - that they've lost site of the motives that saw their parties founded in the first place.

Perhaps the only way to trim the fat off the political system is to create changes that stir up the system and thus make both major parties actually work again.

In that respect the presence of a viable and recogised 3rd party threat would certainly do that. But are people ready to commit to the idea?

2:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a work in progress. I'm not sure it's meant to be a structure for running candidates so much as a political designation. Sort of like an Independent but with a platform, or a creed at the moment.

When someone asks what your affliation is, you can say I'm a Libbytarian and as one you support candidates of any designation, as long as they ethically conform to the creed. I'm thinking of it as a way to let the Dems know they can't count on an anti-GOP backlash as a windfall for themselves without doing anything to earn it.

I'm certainly not equipped to start an actual third party but wouldn't it be cool if enough people self-identified as a member that the affliation started showing up on the Zogby poll?

That's where I plan to start. I'm regularly polled by Zogby and I'm going to start entering that as mine.

Which is not to say I would preclude having candidates run under the banner someday, but at the moment it's just a meme in my mind. I'm planting the seed to see what grows.

4:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home