Monday, December 12, 2005

Pro-peace and pro-soldier

I already did a longer post at the Detroit News blog explaining the backstory on this, but I want to post this here as well because it's a really good idea, even if I did get it from Malkin. It arises out of an ugly card received by a wounded soldier. This seems an appropriate antidote to that kind of hateful speech.
I called Walter Reed to find out the best way to send a bunch of cards to soldiers, and was directed to the Red Cross office at Walter Reed. The gentleman I spoke to said to bundle multiple cards in one big manilla envelope and send them to the Red Cross office and they will distribute them. He was a nice man who is a wounded soldier himself. The address I was given is:

Red Cross
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue NW
Heaton Pavillion
3EO5
Washington, DC 20307

The man said they can also use stamps, gloves and stocking caps at the Red Cross office there.
On a related note, it's too late of course to send cards to our troops overseas but Malkin also linked to site where you can send an email to a soldier. I have my doubts whether they will deliver a message signed with a pro-peace disclaimer but I'm going to try it anyway. I think it would be good for the soldiers to know that we're fighting the administration at home and haven't forgotten that they are stuck with fighting this stupid war.

You would have thought the war bloggers would have jumped this idea themselves, but I don't see much outside of these two doing it. One guy is urging the wingnuts to send cards to the ACLU to piss them off. Kind of a dumb campaign really. Having worked with the organization for 18 years, I can tell you, they love free speech and will find it amusing. It should brighten up their holidays immensely.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home