Friday, October 21, 2005

Say cheese Tom...

The Smoking Gun has the best image, but the rest of the press are opening with this very good question.
Why is Tom DeLay smiling? After all, he's been indicted. Forced out of his job as House majority leader. Called in for fingerprinting and a mug shot like a common criminal. And released on $10,000 bail.
Their answer is somewhat dim.
Answer: A photo of DeLay grinning from ear to ear doesn't pack quite the punch in a Democratic attack ad as a typical glum mug shot.
Are they kidding? It's perfect for an ad. The guy has just been arrested and he can't tell the difference between his everyday life and commiting a crime. He's posing for the mug shot like he's just acheived the better businessman's award. He could care less. He does not look like a man in touch with reality. The photo screams, "Hello. I'm Tom DeLay and I've been screwing the taxpayer senseless since I've been in office and you can't stop me. Bwaaahhhh!!"

I'm no PR genius but even I could make that meme work. And this is just the beginning. We're all distracted with Plame but he's also in deep in the Abramhoff mess and that scandal is just gaining some steam. Two smiling mug shots would make a killer ad, if you ask me.

Udpate: DeLay's lawyer lied in open court is a getting away with it in the press.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home