Thursday, July 28, 2005

Jessica Simpson does Iraq

I'm so out of touch with pop culture, although I recognize the name, I honestly don't know who she is. Nonetheless, I posted on this in Detroit this morning on the premise it would be of interest to my Motown readers. Jessica and her husband were in Iraq as part of a recent ABC TV variety special.
But all the controversial moments and harrowing footage of the trip didn't appear in the fun-filled TV show.

Simpson says, "It was unbelievable. They didn't show a lot of what really went on with the enemy attacks and the shelling. There was so much stuff that went on and somehow the tapes got mysteriously misplaced.

"It put everything in perspective for me. It really did teach me the definition of sacrifice. I can't even fathom being out there right now. I was ready to come home."
I wasn't going to post it here, however Don Surber's post on the subject brought the story into a new light.

Don is the editor of a West Virginia newspaper. He just started a blog, and he's become a new fav of Glenn Reynolds so he can hardly be called a liberal, but he had such a non-partisan and civilized take on it, that I want to pass it on. He says in part:

Her complaint seems valid. If television can fixate on her confusion over Chicken of the Sea being tuna instead of poultry, surely it has room for footage that defines sacrifice.

Mrs. Lachey's complaint is a reminder of some great human beings in the entertainment industry who are showing their support of the troops by taking USO tours.

Some of them no doubt oppose the war. Well, who the hell really likes a war? Robin Williams was one of the first to visit Afghanistan. He's done Iraq.

Since 9/11, USO tours have included such stars as:

Coolio. Mariah Carey. J. Lo. Kid Rock. Ja Rule. Wayne Newton. Jessica Simpson. Neal McCoy. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.Sherri Saum. Cheryl Ladd. James Reynolds. Dennis Farina.Cast members from "Stargate SG-1." Joan Jett. Chris Isaak. Dwight Yoakam. Cedric the Entertainer. Willie Barcena. Jay Leno. Drew Carey. Gary Sinese.

Some of these stars probably oppose the war. But they support the troops. For what it's worth, I support the stars. They are heroes.
It's so refreshing to hear something that positive coming from the "other" side. It almost restores my hope for the return of civilized discourse.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home