Monday, July 11, 2005

Is Kos kidding?

Although, I post the very occasional diary there, I've never been a Kossack. I prefer smaller gatherings and always found the pace of the site a little overwhelming. Nonetheless, I count on Kos and his crew to keep me abreast of the breaking news and for usually damn fine analysis. Thus I found it most disturbing to read this when I was visiting Old Fashioned Patriot this morning.

I'm appalled that Kos would shut down discussion on a legitimate issue, particularly in such an officious manner.

Today I did something I've never done before (not even during the Fraudster mess), and wish I'd never had to do.

I made a mass banning of people perpetuating a series of bizarre, off-the-wall, unsupported and frankly embarassing conspiracy theories.

I have a high tolerance level for material I deem appropriate for this site, but one thing I REFUSE to allow is bullshit conspiracy theories. You know the ones -- Bush and Blair conspired to bomb London in order to take the heat off their respective political problems. I can't imagine what fucking world these people live in, but it sure ain't the Reality Based Community.

So I banned these people, and those that have been recommending diaries like it. And I will continue to do so until the purge is complete, and make no mistake -- this is a purge.

This is a reality-based community. Those who wish to live outside it should find a new home. This isn't it.

Update: I've been reinstating some of the banned accounts as they email me. Some people wondered why there wasn't any warning. There have been warnings from others -- repeated pleadings for people to ground themselves in reality.

It's telling that I have NEVER done something like this before. Because this has been an extreme situation. This isn't about disagreeing with what people are saying. If that was the case, everyone would've been banned by now. The myth of the "echo chamber" is just that. A myth.

But as for warnings, well, this has been my warning. I wanted it clear that I was serious, and I think that has come through. I am reinstating those who ask to be reinstated. But the message has been sent.
I for one would like clarification of that message. I mean what's he running over there, a community of activists or a Bush Town Meeting? I might note that Bush supporters call the Downing Street Minutes a conspiracy theory and mock those who promote it. I expect Rove doesn't allow anyone to discuss those either. So are only Kos approved theories allowed to be debated at the Kos town hall?

I defended him during the brouhaha with the feminists from the Democratic Underground and on other occasions when he was criticized by the right, but this time Markos is just plain wrong. He should remind himself of this reality. Without the Kossacks, he could easily have ended up as just another guy with an opinion and a couple of hundred readers. He would be well advised to treat them and their theories with a little more respect.
Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home