Friday, July 22, 2005

Fashion Police rise again

Didn't they disband the fashion police around 1967? As far as I can see, this is so much ado about nothing but it's a slow news day for the right. All the good stories are about Treasongate so perhaps that explains the over-reaction on Robin Givhan's critique of the Roberts' family attire in their official portrait.

Frankly I love retro fashion and don't find it offensive that they dressed like refugees from a 50s sitcom, although I do think it's a little cruel to dress what appears to be maybe a six year old boy in knee pants and saddle shoes like some John-John Kennedy wannabee. One can imagine the teasing he'll endure on the playground if his friends get a hold of that photo.

But who cares? My interest in the story is the bizarre and venomous response to Givhan's review. For God's sake that's her job. All this talk of attacking conservatives seems to ring a little hollow when one remembers the ringing endorsement she gave to that slutty dominatrix outfit Condi Rice wore on her first outing as Secretary of State. Givhan found it fashion forward. I thought the short black leather skirt and spike heel boots sort of screamed whore.

The point is I didn't notice any huge outrage from this crowd over Givhan's fashion sense then. As I recall they were falling all over themselves to agree how "commanding" Condi looked. And they accuse my side of playing partisan politics?

I wish these bloggers could get as worked up over the Thought Patrol and the complete destruction of our civil rights under the Patriot Act, which I hear was just renewed by our clueless Congress, as they do over a kid's knickers. But I guess I might as wish for go-go boots and Nehru jackets to come back into style.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Don Surber said...

You had me till you called Condi slutty.
The overkill is embarrassing, though

2:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You misread the post Don. I didn't call Condi slutty, I called the outfit slutty. There's a difference and frankly I don't know any other way to describe it. Hardly seemed appropriate for a state visit. Surely you agree it lacked a certain decorum.

2:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home