Monday, March 26, 2012

Why I'm afraid to eat fish

Unless you know a fisherman, you never really know where they catch the fish. Like maybe in this zone:

[original photo]

Or in the oil spill zones. Or in the zone affected by that gigantic island of plastic slime.

Related: Last year, a group of NASA scientists and animators put together this animation of the world’s ocean surface currents. [via]



In other bad news, the new Prime Minister of Belize is authorizing off-shore oil drilling, including within the barrier reef, despite overwhelming opposition from the citizens. I've snorkeled that reef. It's a natural wonder. Second biggest in the world. A BP style oil spill would kill it and the tourism industry that provides nearly half of Belize's commerce.

The PM was elected by a razor thin majority, yet he's claiming a mandate to sell out Belize's resources to corporate interests. Sounds uncomfortably familiar.

[More posts daily at the Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Blogger Mule Breath said...

When I was in Belize last year there was an active populist effort to stop this. From the grass roots view it appeared that the people would win.

Reminds me of Scott Walker in WI.

9:33:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

The citizen's made their wishes very clear but were cheated out of a legally binding referendum. Reminds me of all the GOP generally.

11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I don't have the ghost of a belief that in the long run we won't use up everything we can and poison the rest. It's just human nature.

11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm afraid you're right Fogg.

12:53:00 PM  
Blogger TestyMctester said...

"I don't have the ghost of a belief that in the long run we won't use up everything we can and poison the rest. It's just human nature."

Human beings are a fire that shall burn itself out, leaving only the angels behind.

2:49:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's a much vision than the smoldering planet I see in the future.

8:18:00 PM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Well, I think angels are an artifact and don't exist without us, but all in all, the health benefits of fish outweigh the alleged risks and I think our bodies are more robust than it's fashionable to admit, what with all our silly worries about mysterious toxins and radio signals and zombie apocalypses. I'm know to eat seafood three times a day and so far I'm OK -- ok so my skin looks a bit scaly, but hey. . .

9:09:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. I still eat some fish, based on the premise you're going die of something anyway, but not as much as I used to.

10:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home