Friday, August 05, 2011

Listen to the wind blow

Everybody is linking to this today, but in case you missed it, it is very funny. Obama Turns 50 Despite Republican Opposition.

On a more serious note, Kevin Drum pushes back on the "Obama is the worst, most ineffective President ever" meme that's been circulating among so many on the left. He rightly points out that the Senate rules make obstruction easy and gives some context to the presidential accomplishments of the last ten years.

Putting personal dissappointments about pet issues aside, and reviewing what Obama has actually pushed through, I have to agree with this:
Still and all, in two years Obama has done more to enact a liberal agenda than George Bush did for the conservative agenda in eight. That's not bad, folks. All things considered, I'd say Obama is the most effective politician of the Obama era. And the Bush era too.
Also worth reading, Steve Benen concurs and adds more.

I unexpectedly had the day off today. I thought I would catch up on blogging, but I read the internets and couldn't deal with it. Too much emo, not enough cool-headed thinking. Yes, I hate a lot of what's happened and is happening now too, but today I just feel like saying, "Good Lord my friends. Can we get some long range perspective here? Tell me who, and how, anyone could have done better under the circumstances."

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I've never been more exasperated. Even the history of the recent debt ceiling debacle has already been re-written to show how Obama was trying to bring down the government.

Ask if they remember the 1995 attempt to shut down the government and they don't.

There is no hope and I find myself almost hoping that these idiots truly will destroy everything of value and all the morons who thought it would make them rich will starve in the streets and ditches and nobody will give a shit.

10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have my moments when I wish the same thing Fogg.

7:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home