Saturday, September 04, 2010

Tea Party at the barbershop - Updated

Although I don't go to the barber, I find myself in similar situations to this many times here in the south. I don't usually steal a whole post, but this is too good to excerpt and I link enough to John that I don't think he'll mind if I steal this one outright.
Just got back from getting my haircut. I go to a barbershop where it is mostly old-timers, and I’m not exaggerating when I state that I am routinely the only person this side of 70 in the waiting room, and it goes without saying they are all white. There was a long line today of about 5 men, so I got to hear all sorts of things about the country I did not know.

One gentleman went on an extended rant about the economy and the country. Did you know that “If Obama had his way we would all be on welfare, and who knows who would pay for it when that happens? This country is just getting worse and worse every day. Things are so lopsided now with Obama taking over everything.” And on and on and on he went, and I just sat there and bit my lip.

Finally, I couldn’t take it anymore, and when he said “You can’t even pray anymore. Christians get stopped from praying, but Muslims get to pray,” I lost it.

“When was the last time someone stopped you from praying,” I asked.

He seemed startled- “Me, never. But they…”

I cut him off- “And when was the last time anyone stopped anyone you know from praying?”

“Well, I don’t personally know of anyone…”

“So who exactly is stopping people from praying?”

And then he went on a rant about saying the Declaration of Independence at the Jefferson “monument.” I just rolled my eyes and kept to myself.

I made a vow, though. In the interest of politeness, I’ve ignored this stuff in public before. I figure I will do my ranting online. But not any more. Any time I am confronted with this nonsense in the future, I am aggressively and publicly challenging these idiots. I can’t take it any more. The damage Rupert Murdoch and those like him have done to this country needs to be countered.
I also have too often remained silent, probably more out of fear of being sucker punched than politeness, but while I probably won't be as aggressive as John, I'm also going to push back more, no matter what the price. I don't see any other way to counter the lies.

Much more always worth reading at Balloon Juice.

Update: Southern Beale riffs off the same post and the comment thread is awesome.
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Litzz11@yahoo.com said...

Ha! I read the same post and had a similar thought.

9:26:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Great post and the comment thread is awesome. I'll add a link to mine. Thanks for the heads up.

11:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home