Saturday, September 18, 2010

But did she play softball?

It's been a stupid, crazy day for me. Almost crazier than our political discourse which is so stupid today I barely feel like talking about it. But this Christine O'Donnell oppo hit is worth remarking on briefly.

She appeared frequently on Bill Maher's show in the 90s. He apparently really wants to be the one who scores an interview with her now that she abruptly cancelled on both "Face the Nation" and "Fox News Sunday, pleading a previous commitment to a church picnic. Seems likely that was related to Maher releasing this previously unaired clip of O'Donnell saying:

O'DONNELL: I dabbled into witchcraft -- I never joined a coven. But I did, I did. ... I dabbled into witchcraft. I hung around people who were doing these things. I'm not making this stuff up. I know what they told me they do. [...]

One of my first dates with a witch was on a satanic altar, and I didn't know it. I mean, there's little blood there and stuff like that. ... We went to a movie and then had a midnight picnic on a satanic altar.
A self-professed 41 year old virgin on "one of" her "first dates with a witch?" As opposed to a warlock? If she was Democrat, or say a Democratic President's SCOTUS nominee, Tweety and Unka Pat would be making thinly veiled references to her sexual preference.

In any event, Maher says he has lots more video and he's going to keep releasing it piecemeal until O'Donnell agrees to appear on his show. I'm suddenly hooked on this soap opera. Pass the popcorn.

Update: To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with people who practice the Wiccan, or any other pagan, traditions. The reason is matters here of course, is that O'Donnell and her supporters put themselves forward as "more moral than thou" Christians.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ruth said...

As a political party, the teabaggage is a successful three ring circus.

10:38:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Ruth! Been missing you but been too sick to search you out. It really is becoming quite a spectacle isn't it?

12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Had a trip during labor day holiday, and not much access to the computer. I am posting over at seminal.firedoglake.com these days, and keep up there most weekends.

I think no self-respecting witch would lend support to an O'Donnell.

2:06:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

For some reason I haven't been able to find a link that just links to a directory of your posts at The Seminal. Could you leave me one someday so I could put it on the blogroll?

And no, no self-respecting witch, or any other independently thinking human would lend support to crazy Chrissie. :)

2:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home