Monday, June 14, 2010

Who Are You?

The big buzz today is this video of Rep Etheridge of the lovely state of North Carolina manhandling a couple of alleged college kids who ambushed him on the street. There's an amazing amount of misinformation in the coverage. It's indisputable that Etheridge is an idiot and should have simply ignored them, but most people are attributing the video to Andy Breitbart. I was about to do it myself, but Dave Weigel unearthed the original video. It got no buzz until Andy's hate site promoted a longer edit of the original footage, but it didn't originate with him.

I follow the chain of how the buzz built at my DetNews post, so all I'll repeat is while Etheridge's conduct is inexcusable, the ambush looks a little shady. The bigger question is the one he asked repeatedly. Who are they? And why do they hide their identity in the video? And adding, do all college kids in DC routinely walk around in business suits?

On slightly different note, an hour after I posted at DetNews, I saw the MSNBC segment on their home page. I'm not saying they stole my framing, but it is uncanny how closely it follows my post. Not that my thoughts were all that original, but it's a funny coincidence.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

It does tell us a lot about Etheridge's character. Regardless of who stopped him and asked him anything, there seemed no recognition of his obligation as a public servant to answer questions or at least refer them to his office for an answer whether they were professional journalists or not. It was graceless even without the grabbing and shoving.

I just watched a video of Seattle's fines beating the crap out of a girl for daring to touch him -- threw a punch to her face with all the brute force of a Sonny Liston. Seattle cops said it was just fine. I wonder what the story would be if Etheridge wound up on the sidewalk and missing a few front teeth?

10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Etheridge is an idiot and a jerk and I'm pretty sure he was probably drunk. The vid was taken at 8:00pm after a fundraiser. Interesting the "college kids" didn't file assault charges though. Still would love to know who they are.

9:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home