Friday, August 07, 2009

Unexpected encounters

I didn't plan it that way, but I ended up spending the day talking. I confess I spent most of it on Twitter. It was very interesting in Tweetopia today. I was DMed by Karl Rove. Meaning he sent me the Twitter version of a personal email. And Marc Ambinder of the LAT RTed me. Meaning he republished my tweet to him on his feed and he asked me a question. Which I answered. Sort of semi-direct contact. Both happened in response to my tweets. That would never happen in my 3-D world.

This is what I'm liking about Twitter. It's not like I think Rove and Ambinder are reading my every tweet, they're most certainly not. But, it's the best chance on the intertubz you have to make direct contact with the big players. And apparently sometimes you do.

It's also a great place to pick up links. I'm learning how to write my tweets so the page reads more like a blog. Check out my Twitter stream for a ton of links about the protests and my exchange with Ambinder. [graphic]

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Sorry, I've been in charge of bigwig communication a couple of times, and suspect a staffer is tweeting you to see if she/he can get more fact time for the boss.

No, I don't twitter.

9:43:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

sorry, fact = face

ironically enuff.

9:44:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Entirely possible Ruth. But it gives the illusion at least of direct contact and even if its filtered through a staffer, it's better than an email to a mass mailing addy. If the message gets through, that's good.

And in Karl's case, it was in response to a snarky comment I made about having reached the point where he amuses me more than he scares me. Didn't even link to him. I've also done proxy bigwig correspondence in my life, and I have to say, that msg felt like a real response.

2:21:00 PM  
Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
And by "big player," you mean "unindicted co-conspirator"? So far? Can't imagine anyone less relevant or more prison-worthy.

It may be time for a twittervention...
.

6:00:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL. I was thinking about the media peeps when I said that Cosa. Rove is just an amusement. I follow him for the laughs.

I've had several answers to my tweets from different media people and I've only been on this thing for a couple of weeks. And they seem to be responding to the criticism in positive ways in refining their narratives even when they don't directly answer. Now that's not just in response to my tweets of course. I'm sure they're barraged by tweets from all over when that happens. So in my mind, adding to the Greek Chorus helps.

11:50:00 AM  
Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
I prefer to gargle in the ratrace choir.
.

12:59:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL. To each his own...

5:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home