Sunday, July 05, 2009

A star is born

We had fireworks here last night. I'm happy to report I could see them from my house so I didn't have to make the trek to the mall. Didn't get any photos, but nature's fireworks are always the most impressive anyway. Here's a photo of a new galaxy in the making.


I never cease to be astounded by the progress we've made in mapping space. When I was young, I didn't expect to see such advances in my lifetime.

In other news, not about Sarah Palin, this is good. Rope, not dope. "Oregon’s House of Representatives voted Monday night to legalize the cultivation of hemp, becoming the sixth state to do so just this year." It's long past time that the erroneous conflation between industrial hemp and recreational cannabis be broken. [via]

Harking back to my post on WalMart embracing employer mandates for health care, I've discovered a credible motive. Eliminating the competition. That makes sense. James Joyner also notes that many of Walmart's employees are already covered by outside insurance. I assume that means Medicaid and family plans under the spouse's employer.

Americans have their private health care horror stories too. There are thousands of them collected here.

Harry Reid admits he's a total wimp and basically only cares about pushing bills that make him look good in his re-election campaign. I ask for the millionth time. Isn't there some way to mount a real primary challenge? Or at least replace him as majority leader with someone that might -- you know -- lead?

Why I don't bother to read Howard Kurtz.

SoBeale catches the ultimate statement on WaPo's fire sale. Hilarious.

I have the distinction of having been publicly harangued by Loudon Wainright at a small club for standing too close to the stage. Seriously, he made me move, because I was "scaring him." I laughed and told him not to worry, he's not that hot that I was rush him or anything, but I was pissed. The guy is weird, but I still like his music. The Krugman Blues.

Adding a new blog to the Atriot section. ErinPDX.

Atrios flags a great slideshow on America's new gilded age.

And Whiskey Ina gives great garden prOn.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

such perfect fireworks, thanx.

WaPo reminds me of those pod invasions in SF, where a perfectly good entity is mysteeeriously taken over by an evil succubus.

11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Ha! A lot of entities remind me of that these days.

11:46:00 AM  
Blogger James' Muse said...

Yay Oregon! I live here and didn't know that.

4:40:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Goes to show how lousy the media is at reporting news. This is why we started blogging. To pass on goods news.

10:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home