Saturday, June 20, 2009

Tehran is bleeding

I can't bring myself to follow the events today. The crackdown is brutal. From the bits and pieces I've been reading it's ugly. Tear gas, water cannons, boiling water poured from helicopters. I think a lot of people are going to die. Moussavi says he's ready to be a martyr if necessary. Goddess be with them all.

I hear Twitter is the place to be, but if you don't tweet, Memorandum has a lot of coverage from various points of view. Needless to say the neo-cons, judging from their headlines and the response from my wingnut fan club at DetNews, are calling for US intervention. Saner minds are just following the events as horrified onlookers. All I feel certain of right now is this is still far from over and I'm really glad that Obama is president and not Mad McCain.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

McPalin certainly would have given the Iranian hard liners strength, the way our bellicose bravado gave Castro heroic status.

And think of where we would stand in Iranian eyes had we blown up their nuclear facilities as Bush wanted to.

In a way, I wish Americans had had the backbone to at least protest the stolen 2000 election and the probably flawed 2004 election but 1968 seems to have taken it all out of us.

9:37:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Not a day goes by that I don't wish we had protested the 2000 and 2004 elections. It could have changed everything. But then again, the universe often gives us what we need and perhaps we had to live through Bush to make today possible.

11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Well if the Universe is listening, I have a list of my requirements.

10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. It gives you what you need, not necessarily what you want.

5:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home