Saturday, June 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Errol Flynn

Today is Errol Flynn's birthday, or would be if he was still alive. There's a lovely tribute to him and his work at this post. I think the author overlooks some of his flaws. He was a complex and somewhat flawed man in person, if some of the other things I've read about him are true, but he was one of my favorite stars of that era.

I adored his swashbuckling persona in his movies. He was almost too pretty, but somehow he came across as manly, even when he was wearing tights while he crossed swords with his foes in some castle. I suppose on some level you might call him the first metrosexual. And he had this air of worldliness, but without being jaded or world weary. He appealed to the adventurer in me. I can't think of a single movie he did that I didn't like and would watch over and over again. Thanks to Honey Bear Kelly for the link and reminding me of the date.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jamaica Rose said...

Today is Errol Flynn's 100th birthday!!!!

ERROL FLYNN was born on June 20, 1909, in Tasmania, Australia.

You can watch Errol star as Fletcher Christian in his VERY FIRST movie (sort of a docu-drama/travelogue), "In the Wake of the Bounty" (1933) here:

http://www.blinkx.com/video/in-the-wake-of-the-bounty-1933/oir0hfPa-XHCreCBikOAZg


Interesting Trivia: Errol Flynn was related maternally to one of the Bounty crew members (but probably not Christian himself, as has been reported in some accounts)!

For your summer reading, you could get his autobiography "My Wicked, Wicked Ways" (or watch the film version of it).

Errol Flynn died an early death on Oct. 14, 1959, of a heart attack, at age 50. Imagine the movies he could have made if he had lived until his 100th birthday.

Learn more at his official website:
http://cmgww.com/stars/flynn/

Cheers,
--Jamaica Rose

6:19:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Jamaica. Clearly another fan of his I see.

6:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home