Monday, May 18, 2009

Gas line

I've been meaning to post about gasoline. I filled up my car a few days ago. I think I don't need to feel guilty about my carbon footprint though since my last fill-up was on 12-3-08. I paid about $1.50 a gallon back then. When I tanked up last week, I paid $2.25. Since then I've been paying a bit more attention and I see it's already up to $2.45 around town.

I suppose you can chalk some of that up to the usual summer price hike, but Cosa noticed another factor that was under-reported. That being the end of oil company subsidies. Once this fully hits the fan , I'm thinking we may be seeing that $5.00 a gallon gas again.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Cosa Nostradamus said...

.
Yeah. It's going to be a rough summer. Thanks for the link, though.

Hey, maybe that commie Obama will nationalize Big Awl.

The day after he becomes bullet-proof.
.

9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It's going to be tough summer all over I think. And the fall ain't looking that pretty either. But as I've always said, nothing bad lasts forever...

9:33:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

As much as I'm horrified at spending a thousand bucks to gas up the boat for the weekend, high prices are the only good way to get industry off its industrial size ass and the rest of us too.

The last attempt to Federally mandate vehicle gas mileage gave us millions of FUV's and the highest gas consumption rate yet. The current idea to do it again will have all kinds of other unintended consequences. Better, I think, to let prices rise and the motivation to readjust lifestyles take its natural course. Laws have loopholes, reality does not.

It's also a bit sad that people who have designed their lives so that they just have to drive 8000 pound trucks all over, all day, have moved us further toward that dreaded gray and deadly sameness, conformity and lack of choice.

My idea of hell is where we all dress the same, live in the same efficient little plastic boxes, drive the same grinning little Pokemon inspired gumdrops down the same plastic signed, strip mall lined identical streets, listening to the same ipodpopcrap, eating the same popcrap, speaking and watching the same popcrap until we finally have to admit we've driven our smiling Honda Handbaskets striaght into the land of tastless sameness and vapid idiocy where the creative go to be punished and the iceman ventureth not. But of course we'll all be "green."

2:53:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That would be awful Fogg. My dream is to escape the madness and live out my golden years on a beach under a coconut tree, watching the waves roll in. Sometimes I'm glad to be old. I'm not sure I want to live long enough to see how ugly it will all get.

3:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home