Thursday, March 05, 2009

Obama's health care summit

The White House health care summit was held today and Ezra says there wasn't anything particularly newsworthy about it, which is sort of newsworthy considering the scope of the plan. He posts the text of Obama's opening speech. It's not earthshaking but the rhetoric is comforting.
Finally, I want to be very clear at the outset that while everyone has a right to take part in this discussion, no one has the right to take it over. The status quo is the one option that is not on the table. And those who seek to block any reform at any cost will not prevail this time around.

I did not come here to Washington to work for those interests. I came to work for the American people – the folks I met on the campaign trail, and who I hear from every day in the White House. Folks who work hard and make all the right decisions, but still face choices that no one in this country should have to make: how long to put off that doctor’s appointment; whether to fill that prescription; when to give up and head to the emergency room because there are no other options.
I have to say when I read this headline at the WaPo this morning, Health Industry Voices Support for Obama Health Plan, I was a little nervous about it. I figure if the industry likes it, it can't be that good, but Jane notes that there's some industry infighting going on that appears to be a good thing.

As someone who has joined the ranks of the uninsured, at this point I'm just hoping for the best.

[More posts daily at The Detroit News]

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Meander said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again and again - Any health care plan that includes the insurance companies will FAIL.

They destroyed the Clinton plan, and they will try to destroy any plan that denies them access to all of the money. They have no interest in single payer, or even in providing proper health care to all citizens because there is no profit in it for them.

2:43:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's what worries me too Meander.

5:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home