Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tasteless

Hardly earthshaking items but this makes me very sad. In the early 70s, I used to go to The Lafayette Bakery all the time. They always had the most beautiful pies in the window. I would often take one home when I left the city. But now, these cookies aren't just tasteless, they're ugly and I hope the bakery goes out of business.

Same for the Ty corporation and their lame-brained marketing of what I'm told is their first ever African-American beanie dolls, "coincidentally" named Sasha and Malia. Michelle Obama called it inappropriate. I might have used the words scum-sucking greedheads, and I don't have enough insulting adjectives for the Neanderthal commenters at the post who suggest that the girls were used as props on the campaign trail and are thus "fair game." And even more confounding, these brain dead, dead-enders use the Palin kids as a counter example.

Odd that I don't remember seeing the Obama daughters more than a few times in two years on the campaign trail and only for the big events. Otherwise, they were home with grandma. On the other hand, it was rare indeed to see a rally or interview where the unfortunate Palin kids weren't dragged into the spotlight by their mother.

And I was going to let this one pass, but really, how obtuse do you have to be to blame the books? I mean, how difficult could it be for a college professor to make the logical connection between an empty store and a failing economy?

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You would never know that she voted for him, would you?

And of course there has never, ever, been bookstore display tables devoted to one person before, has there?

10:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the author and Michelle Obama. This is marketing gone bad. It's sad how corporations do tacky stuff like this in the name of profit. Nothing is out of bounds for people who come up with ideas like this.

4:07:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Kathy. It was one of her more silly posts. Her hit count must be down. She's fishing for hits with that one.

Anon, greed is so ugly and amoral.

8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I haven't seen such an abundance of cheesy, tacky and sleazy merchandise since the Bicentennial. The coins, the plates, the medallions, the cheap zinc busts painted to look like bronze.

Sadly it plays into the game plan of the opposition, which is to portray Obama as a race phenominon: his significance in his blackness rather than in his education, personality and intelligence. That way they can help us forget that his predecessor was the worst president anyone remembers.

Nothing happens in America that doesn't involve or isn't all about manipulation of opinion.

9:59:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have to say I find most of the memorabilia of Obama rather tacky but that comes with the territory. Using the kids really crossed a line for me.

10:37:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

I strongly agree. There were George Bush "action figures" but the press and the sleaze merchants rightly left his kids out of it.

Little kids in the White House seem hard for people to ignore though, from Grover Cleveland's "baby Ruth" to Amy Carter.

12:41:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I was remembering that parody song about Caroline Kennedy. My Daddy is President. I suppose some trading on the novelty is to be expected but those dolls are really creepy. They have little breasts and dress kind of trashy. ANd lying about their motives really irritates me.

I think I wouldn't be quite so annoyed by it if they did an American Girl type doll. From what I know about them, that series seem to be kind of educational.

1:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home