Thursday, January 29, 2009

The 'liberal' media

Judging from the lineup of guests on the teevee, the blitherati of the elite media apparently didn't notice that the GOP is no longer in control of anything.
In total, from 6 AM on Monday to 4 PM on Wednesday, the networks have hosted Republican lawmakers 51 times and Democratic lawmakers only 24 times. Surprisingly, Fox News came the closest to offering balance, hosting 8 Republicans and 6 Democrats. CNN had only one Democrat compared to 7 Republicans.


This on top of the nearly non-stop bloviating about an irrelevant preliminary CBO report that was mentioned 81 times on Sunday. I don't have numbers for who reported on the actual final report, which came to a much different conclusion, but I'm willing to bet it was a lot less. Probably close to zero.

And how ironic is it that Faux News showed the most balance on their guest list?

[More posts daily at The Detroit News.]

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty ridiculous.

I'd be curious to see who the Dems on Fox News were. Blue Dogs?

I also sort of feel like these numbers aren't high enough for either Dems or Republicans (except maybe GOPers on MSNBC). It would be nice to hear more directly from the pols than Wolf Blitzer hemming and hawing away with some stupid point.

3:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part of this strikes me as being the Dems fault. They never seem able to stand up and say what they think as collectively or forcefully as the Republicans.

I hope Obama can teach them.

3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

That's a good point about the Blue Dogs Brian. I suspect that's probably true. I don't watch TV news so I miss all this stuff. I think you're also right that this is partly because the Dems suck at getting their message out. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the media refusing to schedule them. But they're never forceful enough in pointing out how the GOPers obstruct everything.

6:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure a lot of it is the media not scheduling them. But I don't think the media is intentionally partisan - they just want ratings, so they seek controversy whenever possible and they push for the party that pitches the biggest fit, which is, of course, the GOP.

So the Republicans benefit from their narrow-mindedness. This is all ridiculous. But why the Democrats haven't figured out how to handle the system - let alone manipulate it - like the Republicans have is way beyond me.

9:27:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I have to disagree a little in that I think the media is definitely deliberately partisan in what it chooses to air. It's good to remember that the major media conglomerates are owned by Republicans.

But it's also true that the GOP made an investment in media and think tanks to manipulate the media narrative while the Dems concentrated on grass roots stuff only. They're only just now figuring out their mistake. One hopes they're trying to fix that.

7:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home