Friday, December 19, 2008

Ow, ow, ow....

I managed to fall down last night and twisted my foot. These stupid old slide on slippers stretched and I caught the front of one on the rug and went down like a ton of bricks with my foot headed the wrong way. I don't think it's broken. More likely I pulled some tendons or strained some ligaments. Not much swelling. The pain is centered at top of the foot where it bends, just in front of the ankle. The ankle seems fine.

It didn't seem so bad at first. An hour later I couldn't walk on it. Oddly, I've been experimenting and if I can stand the pain, since I've woke up walking seems to help some if I don't put too much weight on the front and keep the weight on the heel. It's more bearable than it was I woke up anyway. I thought for a minute I'd have to crawl to the bathroom to pee.

I had to drop my health insurance months ago so I can't go get it checked out since I'm already almost $8000 in debt for medical bills. I really need to keep what's left of my credit limit in case the car breaks down. I can't believe it's all that serious anyway. I think it would hurt more if I broke something and the internet doctor sites say the treatment is rest and ice in any event so I'm going to try that for a day or two and see if it helps.

I wish I had some crutches. Ironically, most of my life I've always had a set of crutches around since I've broken toes occassionally and then they just take up room for years on end. Now that I really could use a pair, I don't have any.

Oy. What a life. I can't wait for my luck to turn.

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a ginormous drag, Libby.

Maybe you could call around to a few second-hand stores and see if they have any crutches. Long shot, but still.

Keep it elevated along with icing it. Can you take ibuprofen? Helps with the swelling. Would stabilizing it with an Ace bandage help?

And keep us posted, yis?

8:27:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey larkspur. It's a total drag. It was such a stupid fall. I think I probably could get cheap crutches at the goodwill store and an ace bandage probably would help but since my friend John died, I don't have anyone I could call to take me there and I can't drive. Just using the ice and the elevation seems to be working though. It's a little improved today. I slept better last night and it didn't totally kill this morning. I was able to stand up on it on right away.

I think it will be alright in a few days. Knock on wood.

1:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home