Sunday, December 07, 2008

A good dress is hard to find

Women's Wear Daily invited some top designers to send in sketches of evening gowns for Michelle Obama to wear at the Inaugural Balls. They got 40 responses and assembled a slide show. According to Joe Windish there was some great outrage expressed on the internets yesterday over the designers' apparent inability to draw a decent rendering of Michelle.

That didn't really bother me. These people are in the business of drawing clothes, not portraits and use a generic surly model look if they bother to draw faces at all. What appalled me were the dresses themselves. They were almost universally hideous and it's clear they haven't a clue about Michelle's style. I mean what's up with all the Cinderella skirts, frou-frou and bows? And I know the fishtail look is popular right now on the red carpet but movie stars are generally short. Michelle would look silly in that.

So I decided to cruise the internets to find something more suitable and discovered that the all the styles are just awful right now. The closest dress I could find that looked at all suitable for a very tall First Lady was this pink number from a 1930s pattern book. Drop the ruffle at the bottom and get rid of some of the fussy detail on top and that would be perfect.

Michelle has an elegance that doesn't need embellishment. A simple sheath with not too much gratuitous skin is what she needs but after seeing what's out there, well, good luck in finding it.

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger rockync said...

You're right, most of them are pretty horrible although I kind of liked #14 Michael Kors design.

9:05:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

There were a couple I didn't hate, but I thought none of them were right for Michelle.

9:49:00 AM  
Blogger Grant Haws said...

Michelle really is a classy lady and shouldn't try overdoing it. She is one of those people that would look good in 90% of anything so I am sure whatever she wears would be fine.

I have to wonder though, if Palin had won, would talk of her dress be classified as an important decision, or purely sexist...

10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey Grant. If Palin's dress was up for discussion it would classified as some kind of an attack on her, by her fans at least, I'm sure.

BTW, I like your blog and thanks for blogrolling me. I'm going to add you to mine.

7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

If Palin had won? Does anyone think anyone would take time out from swimming the Rio Grande, pouring North over the Canadian border pushing wheel barrows or stuffing dozens of people into leaky old boats headed for Cuba to notice what that evil, witch baiting, glossolalian imbecile was wearing?

12:30:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

LOL Fogg. Good point.

1:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home