Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Choosing battles

Having just said that I'm willing to give Obama a lot of breathing room before I start criticizing every appointment, and keeping in mind that this so far is just a rumor, I'm still willing to go on record as vehemently opposing keeping Hayden as CIA Director. I didn't want him appointed in the first place and there is simply no way that anyone who supported illegal domestic surveillance and condoned torture should be given a seat at the table. I don't care how effin' post-partisan Obama wants to be, there has to be a bright line drawn somewhere.

Glenn tells us Spencer Ackerman thinks this rumor is coming out of Hayden's camp and not from the Obama transition team. I hope that's true because I would hate to think he was even being considered. As I think it was Atrios said, "the man should be indicted, not rewarded."

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a rumor so far, and I don't know what the truth is, and I certainly don't imagine that I'm going to like everything Obama does. But I can't help feeling that sometimes you need to employ the serial killer to find out where the rest of the bodies are. You know? Maybe it's not a reward as much as it is a limited, circumscribed chance at atonement. Or maybe it's just a way of collecting information.

But I'm feeling particularly sand-blasted right now.

11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

I'm feeling the same way for the most part, such as with the Summers, Geither picks. I get why he kept Gates and I don't think that's so awful. But the CIA pick is one that I think is really important to pick someone who is unconnected to the present administration and especially someone who is not involved in condoning the torture. I think it will make a big difference in our foreign relations. The torture/secret rendition IMO is one of the biggest ways Bush screwed up our standing internationally.

7:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to remain optimistic. Everyone was really concerned over the possibility of Brennan being the guy, and now he's out.

I won't be surprised if the same thing happens here - though I agree that if Hayden gets picked, I will be very disappointed.

10:54:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like two important things have to happen at the same time: detainees - renditioned or not - have to be accounted for, be given appropriate care, per Red Cross and international law, and moved into the justice system. That's one. Two is that all documents of any kind must be preserved. Put padlocks on the damn shredders.

Hell, let's make Valerie Plame Interim Director, or at least Hayden's Watcher.

11:18:00 AM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Brian, I'm also assuming this is just a rumor until proven otherwise.

Larkspur, I love the idea of Plame being appointed in some capacity. I don't think I'm going to hold my breath though.

12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home