Monday, November 03, 2008

Nervously visualizing winning

Every reasonable metric points to a landslide for Obama but still I'm worried about another stolen election. I won't breathe easy until they call it for Obama tomorrow night. There are simply too many ways for the GOP to steal the vote again to take anything for granted. And watching the many ways the GOP is building a false narrative for a "surprise" win only increases my fears. Maybe that's a good thing.

Overconfidence is not our friend. Turnout will be the key. The only thing that will thwart the GOP plots is a turnout so great that they any theft would be so obvious as to cause riots in the streets. At this point, there's nothing meaningful left to say but vote if you haven't and do everything you can to make sure your friends vote as well. No excuses. No regrets.

The only other thing we can do right now is visualize winning. I mean that literally. Imagine hearing your newsperson of choice saying, "We call it for Obama." Hear it in your head and hold it there as long as you can. The power of mass belief can overcome the worst plots of mortal men and work miracles if you believe strongly enough.

[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger (O)CT(O)PUS said...

Yesterday, I donated a few hours at my local Obama phone bank center. Quick work for an 8pus, I held the phone with one tentacle and simultaneously dialed all 7 digits with the others… all in one move.

Awkward situations were the hard part, i.e., the voter who had no health insurance and blamed Obama for spending umpteen dollars on political advertising and blamed Palin for spending $150,000 on clothes. No, this voter was too angry to vote for either candidate.

And then there were the “sorry, so-and-so is deceased” responses. After the third dead letter experience, I started feeling like Bartleby, the Scrivener.

Despite everything, we did have a beach party this weekend, and I thought you might enjoy this. Robert was a good sport about the whole thing, and I think we made friends.

10:53:00 AM  
Blogger Capt. Fogg said...

Is it indicative of how beaten down and cynical we've become that we equate democracy with miracles?

I'm still not taking bets but I'm pretty sure Obama is going to win and I'm pretty sure there will be howling and screeching to match the fury we saw when Clinton beat George the first.

Anyway, the election is just the beginning. Barak will have the toughest row to hoe in many decades and he'll have to hoe it amidst investigations, spurious accusations and slime attacks. I'm more worried about sabotage at this point than I am about losing.

12:52:00 PM  
Blogger (O)CT(O)PUS said...

I'm more worried about sabotage at this point than I am about losing.

Me too, I am sad to say but maybe our weekend roast was a step in the right direction.

1:14:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

Hey you guys. I'm green as seaweed with jealousy over your beach party.

And you're right Fogg, as always, it's very sad that it would feel like a miracle if we could restore some sense of democracy. Very sad indeed.

7:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home