Friday, September 12, 2008

Patience and Steel

I've been trying to grok out why McCain and Palin continue to relentlessly lie and I agree with Atrios that a big part of it is just that it pisses liberals off and that pleases the base but I realized only today what he was getting at. Duncan, unlike me, can be very subtle. Then I got this comment posted on two posts, on two different blogs, and then discovered that Sully really had posted it. Whoever the commenter is apparently has taken on the mission of passing it on.

Sully's emailer is right. We are being played but Sully isn't the only one who figured it out. I realized that days ago myself, as did Cernig and a few others. The ongoing lies are clearly just to capture the news cycle. I expect the campaign calls this slimy offensive something like Operation Flat Lie Express. And we're all falling for it. It's hard to resist when the lies are so egregious.

It's a classic Rovian ploy. He used it to great effect with Bush and it's working again. I have to admit I'm as guilty as the next of getting caught in the snare, but I adjusted my approach days ago. I connected every Palin post with McCain and Bush. But while that's good to build the narrative on the lies, I was just thinking today we've taken that as far as it can go. Anybody who isn't convinced by now is already in the tank for McSame.

It is time to push Obama's message instead. I wish the campaign would send out their own YouTubes daily so they can be embedded in posts. It would make it a lot easier.

Meanwhile, if you simply must see it for yourself, HuffPo has the videos of The View appearance and you can get a list of Palin's lies here and here. And of course I have a post at DetNews.


[More posts daily at The Newshoggers and The Detroit News.]

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm sold. Somebody tell me where I can get a "Patience and Steel: Obama/Biden '08" T-shirt.

4:12:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

It is a nice slogan.

6:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home