Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Guess who's NOT coming to dinner...

Three news days later, Stephen Colbert's appearance at the White House Flacks Correspondent's dinner is still generating significant buzz on the internets. Jon Stewart calls it balls-alicious. I have to agree with him. It was probably the bravest delivery of one-liners since Lenny Bruce and Colbert didn't use aa single cuss word.

Michael Scherer at Slate pens a rave review calling it Colbert's shining moment. For myself, I call it a golden moment of truth glittering among the dross of "truthiness" that passes for political analysis in our press these days. A brilliant performance indeed.

The piece also offers up this one-liner that I missed in the previous coverage.
Then he turned to the president of the United States, who sat tight-lipped just a few feet away. "I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message, that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound -- with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world."
The tag team of Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts at the WaPo pans his performance claiming it fell flat and suggest that the two faces of George skit with the Bush impersonator stole the show. One of them says:
The thing I took away from all this is that President Bush has a pretty good sense of humor about himself," Bridges said. Mission accomplished.
Kind of a weird reference considering yesterday was the anniversary of the president's real life skit that truly fell flat with Americans. Guess no one told these two gals that while the audience didn't appear to get the joke, the rest of America is wiping tears of knowing laughter from their eyes.

I hope Colbert has rights to his own footage of the performance. I have a feeling he could make a DVD of it and sells millions. If you haven't downloaded the clips, do it now because the one thing for sure is, he's unlikely to get an invitation for a repeat performance.

[hat tip Jules Siegel]
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

I think you're right about Colbert being able to make a DVD. Do you remember an album that came about in the 60's that was a parody of the Kennedy administration? It might have been Washington in general...I'm getting old and my memory fails. I just remember it was a hoot and sold well.

I was discussing the Colbert incident with some friends and one of them brought up an interesting point. Ever since the GOP sold the public on the idea that they are morally superior to Dems/liberals, the media and Hollywood types backed off. They were probably worried some dirt from their lives would be splashed around the MSM. Anyway, now that the GOP have revealed their true colors and it turns out they sin just like the rest of us, people are starting to push back again.

The GOP should have looked for skeletons in their closets before starting their crusade.

3:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I do remember that parody album but I'm also spacing on the name of the guy who did it. Was it Graham something? It was fab and did sell well.

I'm not so sure whether people held back for fear of exposure of whether they simply didn't think they could dent the smokescreen of pseudo-patriotism the GOP created. They were so successful at framing the issues. But I think there's a pretty clear nexus between Bush's tanking ratings and people's bravery about speaking out.

I'm also convinced that Bush is having a breakdown and even his people outside of the deep dark inner circle are becoming concerned enough about what damage he could do in another 2 years that they are more willing to speak out.

3:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

FYI: The album was called "The First Family" by Vaughn Meader. My husband found it on e-bay selling for $3.99. (We're both anal and it bothered us that we couldn't remember it!)

9:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh thank you Kathy. It was bugging me too but I never would have remembered on my own.

9:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home