Sunday, April 30, 2006

Colbert delivers hearty fare at White House dinner

The big buzz of the day is the White House Correspondent's dinner. I'm sorry I missed this on CSPAN. I've heard they're going to rerun it but I couldn't find it on the schedule which is too bad because I'd like to see the whole thing. However, the ever dependable Crooks and Liars has 15 minutes worth of video that's worth waiting for the download to watch.

And as always, Joe Gandelman at The Moderate Voice has a comprehensive roundup of reaction around Blogtopia. The reviews as you can imagine are mixed with the lefties praising Comedy Central's Stephen Colbert's skewering of the president and the righties declaring the routine a dud because everyone was afraid to laugh.

Personally I don't know how they held back. I thought the video bit at the end with Helen Thomas was a little weak but the standup stuff had me roaring on this side of the computer screen and I already knew the punchlines from reading the press coverage. Colbert's delivery was impeccable and I think it takes a special kind of brass balls to mock a sitting Supreme Court justice while he's sitting only feet from you. The Scalia bit was priceless.

As many, including Editor and Publisher note, the president and Mrs Bush were not amused. Looking at some of the one-liners you can see why.
He advised the crowd, "if anybody needs anything at their tables, speak slowly and clearly on into your table numbers and somebody from the N.S.A. will be right over with a cocktail."

Observing that Bush sticks to his principles, he said, "When the president decides something on Monday, he still believes it on Wednesday - no matter what happened Tuesday."
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the White House limo on the way home from this gig. I have a feeling whoever booked Colbert is going to have some heavy 'splaining to do.

And this bit was a lot funnier in person although the press didn't laugh. But then those prima donnas never could take a joke.
Addressing the reporters, he said, "Let's review the rules. Here's how it works. The president makes decisions, he’s the decider. The press secretary announces those decisions, and you people of the press type those decisions down. Make, announce, type. Put them through a spell check and go home. Get to know your family again. Make love to your wife. Write that novel you got kicking around in your head. You know, the one about the intrepid Washington reporter with the courage to stand up to the administration. You know--fiction."
If anybody figures out when this is being re-aired, I would greatly appreciate if you would leave the times or a link in comments. I thought it was it so good that I really want to see it all. In fact for the first time since it's become available, I'm sorry I don't have TIVO. I would have liked to save this one for future generations.
Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

A few months ago, I read that Colbert was booked because someone actually believed he was a conservative. They didn't understand that his show was a parody. That makes it all the funnier.

8:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hysterical and how typical of the cluelessness of these neo-cons.

11:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know, he is somewhat conservative. Well, moreso than Jon Stewart, anyway.

Besides, conservativism and Bushism are not one and the same. Unless you equate being conservative with being a fascist. Which is fair, I suppose, but a bit unfair to Constitutional conservatives such as myself.

4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Libby Spencer said...

True enough Bronwyn. Bush is a PNACer, not a conservative as I understand the term. Actually Bush is just a dupe. He doesn't understand the difference anyway. It's all about being powerful and popular. I think his low ratings are really causing a psychotic break and that's why so many people close to him have started talking out against him. I think they're getting scared which really scares me.

6:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm too boggled to be scared, but yeah. I hear you.

heh. the secret password below is "ggipp". Cute.

2:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home