Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Rumble Jumble

Okay, I confess. I've been hanging around Gut Rumbles because I got hooked on Rob Smith's daily vitriol and I'm fascinated by his little blog family. The regs are mostly a bunch of redneck redstaters and the "wimmen" who love Rob, but they're interesting and they're not usually hostile. He also has a remarkable following in the greater blogosphere. Various bloggerati show up in comments now and again.

I guess I shouldn't say remarkable because it's not surprising. Rob's a really good writer and his candor is humbling. I mostly want to slap some sense into his shit-talking head when he posts on politics, but when he talks about life, he often makes me want to cry. It keeps me going back.

Anyway Rob's checked into rehab for the next six weeks so he's got a bunch of his wimmen favs guest posting. Juliette, aka Baldilocks, the darling of the right wing echo chamber, is one of them and she picks up Michelle Malkin's award winning meme of the day. She posts this in response to the candlelight vigils that are being organized to commemorate the reaching of the the latest Iraq "milestone," one the Bushtopians would rather forget.
The 2000th military fatality in Operation Iraqi Freedom occurred today.

The left: Let's get this party started! Oh those poor, poor soldiers who died for nothing but oil and the Jews!

The right: God rest all of you and may your sacrifice not be in vain.
Let me parse that for you from the reality-based side of the fence.
The left: 2,000 soldiers dead for an failed military strategy that we were against from the beginning. Let's hold candlelight vigils to honor and mourn the dead. Let's get visible to show our government we don't want another soldier to die for nothing good.

The right: 2,000 dead - what should we do? I know, let's all pile on with petty mockery against those Quakers for organizing an event that honors the dead. Can't have those weirdo religious types who believe in peace, lawfully assembling and exercising their constitutional right to ask their president to end an illegal war.

But don't worry troops, we support your fight for our freedoms while we're sniping at our fellow Americans for using theirs to bring attention to your plight. You have to keep dying until Bush can declare a victory because if you don't, well - you know - we might have to admit we were wrong and were bamboozled into supporting a failed mission by a spoiled trust fund brat who never held a real job in his life and only cares about his own political hide.

But we're right behind you, that is as long as we don't have to actually go there and fight ourselves or - you know - sacrifice anything.
I try to live and let live when it comes to political disagreements but this particular spin is so devoid of humanity, that I can't ignore it. The Bushtopians have never looked so bitter and self-absorbed as they have today.

I mean really, if they support the troops so bloody much, shouldn't they be organizing some kind of commemoration for the sacrifice those 2,000 soldiers made? It's a milestone, no matter which side of the war you're on.

Update: I had something to say to Cox and Forkham as well, at the DetNews blog.
Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your question is based on several faulty premises: 1) that those who support the war aren't commemorating the troops 2)that those who are commemorrating the troops in the manner specified in my post actually have their best interest at heart. They want to de-fund the troops "Not One More Dollar!" (Recall all the hooting and hollering about armor? Defunding them will certainly up the body count) and 3)that most soldiers would want the type of defeatist commemoration that the AFSC (my link) is supporting.

But we're right behind you, that is as long as we don't have to actually go there and fight ourselves or - you know - sacrifice anything.

As someone who, after 20 odd years in the USAF/USAFR, is pretty familiar with the military mindset, the above answers are just the things that jump off the top of my head.

Next time try to do your homework before dishing out snide little back-handed 'chickenhawk' innuendo, son.

11:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great question. Let me add, if they support our troops so much, why aren't they speaking out in favor bringing them home as soon as possible?

Condi Rice stated recently she envisions our troops in Iraq for possibly the next 10 years. Where was the outrage?

I'm not in favor of a draft, but it certainly would even the playing field out a bit. I wonder how quiet the right would be then?

(Thanks for the kind words over at the DetNews, Libby. They were sorely needed after the verbal accosting managed to land a few good blows!)

7:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're more than welcome KS. That comes from the heart.

Funny thing about the chickenhawk meme, the more the wings fit, the more they squawk about it. And you of course notice that she latches onto that because she has no answer to the real question. It's bullshit when she says they're doing something to commemorate the dead. She doesn't even mention it on her own blog.

And as to her creds - let's see she retired (with a cushy pension no doubt) from the AF just before the war started and near as I can tell she never saw combat while she was in the service.

Since they're so short of troops, they're calling up reservists in their 60s, it seems to me her failure to walk her talk, and volunteer for Iraq duty is all the more egregious because she's already trained and could be a real help. She certainly looks healthy enough.

And you have to love that she's accusing me of being a bad researcher. I love it when they make that accusation against me and then call me Dude. It would take two clicks to figure out who I really am and she didn't do it.

Not worth getting into a big tiff over though. It's not like we're going to change each other's minds. I would have ignored the post altogether but it really irritates me when they start accusing the peace supporters of being glad the men are dying. What the hell do they think we're protesting for, except to stop the needless deaths?

3:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dudette, I know not to take you seriously when you keep insisting that Iraq is a "failed mission." Clearly that's your wishful thinking. You're a disgrace.

-matt

4:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would take two clicks to figure out who I really am...

That's because you are a zero, a cipher, and a zipperhead, and nobody cares.

...the more the wings fit, the more they squawk about it...

Did all of you libs mother's smoke crack when they were pregnant? You're gonna squawk, now, so what I said MUST be true, eh?

If I picked someone to blog for me during my absence, I would have absolute faith in them, and be honored that they said yes. I am sure Rob feels that way about Juliette.

But libs are shameless.

5:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You implied that she was a chickenhawk (a popular smear because so much of the antiwar crowd lacks either the ability or the inclination to make arguments in lieu of personal attacks) and when you found out that she served as a career soldier you chose to belittle her service. Your failure to acknowledge the misapplication of your smear reveals questionable personal probity.

9:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you notice that everyone posting in Robs place seem to be ruining his journal? I think he'll be very disappointed when he gets back. It's really gone downhill.

10:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as a point of reference, I didn't call Juliette anything. Her post painted the "left" in broad strokes, and I returned the favor by painting the "right" with the same brush. I only used her name in crediting her post. She slipped the wings on herself - I didn't pin them on her. Don't blame me if it looks like they fit.

I'm not belittling her service. I thank her for it and I'm even impressed by her record but I don't think it gives her the creds to speak for soldiers who died in combat. None of us have the right to make those judgements.

What we do have is the right to peaceably express our feelings in a public forum in whatever way that brings us comfort. If it's with candles and singing - why do any of you think you have the duty to smear an honest display of grief by your fellow Americans?

My world doesn't revolve around Baldilocks. This not about her, it's about all the Bushtopians who used the tragic milestone of 2,000 dead to engage in this seamy attack on the motives of Americans who would rather fight for peace than war.

I lit a candle for the dead tonight and said a prayer for the families who have to bear their loss. So, tell me again, what all did you folks do to "honor" the memory of their sacrifice?

Or do you think mocking people for exercising their First Amendment rights to express their concern for our troops in a way you don't approve of, is a fitting tribute to what they died for?

And by the way, I don't have a problem with the wimmin's blogging. I'll admit I go there to see if there's news from Rob but I stop and read the posts. I think they're all good. I don't think they've ruined the blog at all, although it's certainly not the same as having Rob around. Damn if I'm not missing him.

11:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home